Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ip

Ip

Is there a program in thw windows folder that will tell you the IP of every server (or computor) you connect to? I think I heard there was, and even think I have used it before, but I cant remeber what it was. A little bit of help would be geatly appreciated.
    Coming Soon.......!

Go to your command prompt and type netstat. That will show you all your active connections, and the remote IP or DNS name, plus the port.

Ok, thanks. I wanted to use it so if I ever felt I was being hacked or something, I could find their IP. I hope this works. I also wanted to find it becasue I wanted to know how much spyware I have.
    Coming Soon.......!

I see. First, to get rid of spyware, get Ad-Aware from www.download.com I use it, and love it. Just remember to get their update program too. If you run Windows NT or 2000, you can also get a program from the same site called Active Ports. It monitors all of your active connections, local port, remote port, and remote address, much like netstat. The big difference, though, is that it will let you kill any connections you want. It's great to kill suspicious connections. I use it a lot.

If you're worried about being hacked, get a firewall. I know of two good ones, ZoneAlarm and Tiny. Both can be found at download.com. I won't get into the specifics, but ZoneAlarm is generally better for beginners and lazy people, while Tiny is better for those who need more control, or know more. I have also heard that Tiny is a little more secure than ZoneAlarm, but any firewall is better than no firewall. You can even run them both at the same time if you want. That's what I do. Call me paranoid if you will, but I feel secure with them.

I'm gonna get this firewal from work called Ice or something. You can get it at Wal-Mart for $30 I think, but I am getting it free. I used to have Zonealarm, but I got realy tired of it. But I thinkm I'll try out that Ad-Aware.
    Coming Soon.......!

You're talking about BlackICE. I use that one too (I'm paranoid, what can I say?). It's a very good firewall, but you should consider separate trojan protection if you use it. I heard something about it letting the Sub 7 trojan through, or something like that. I haven't confirmed whether or not that's true, but the extra protection certainly can't hurt.

I hope XP has some good support for applications with more network control than Win 9x. Given that it is supposedly a 9x/NT hybrid, I would expect it to. Currently in 9x I deal with connections that I wish to kill by first blocking them off with a firewall, then by ternimating unfamiliar processes program by program until the port closes or stops being in listen mode. I know there is some program called Inzsider or something that will work on 9x to determinte which program is bound to which ports, but for me it was excessively slow, and most firewall solutions do that already.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

for terr

Theres a program called Fport from foundstone.com, which in their words:

Reports all open TCP/IP and UDP ports and maps them to the owning application.

It runs very fast on win2k and its free.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Well I have a firewall now. It's BlackICE Defender. I just got it, so I cant tell wether its better than Zonealarm or not. It looks more advanced. I'm getting cab'e soon, and I will certanly need a firewall, so hopefully this is a good one. I'll go by what you said sftlook and take that it is a good one.
    Coming Soon.......!

Banned

well

on my mac i dont have a firewall ran a port scan about 2 open holes in the 10000 range so i fell pretty safe but on my pc black ice and norton firewall hehe im deffenatly paranoid cept my bloddy sister turns it off when shes on the net " icq doenst work propaly" so sub 7 still gets in stupid lamers!?!?!?!?!? cause me trouble next one who puts it on gets their hd erased by seven thousand monkeys look out RiOtErs whatching (and his army of monkeys)