View Poll Results: Should AV software detect FBI's Key logger software?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

9 81.82%
  • No

0 0%
  • Undecieded

2 18.18%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheerleaders...useless or nessesary for a functional society?

You want to know somthing funny? I live in Colorado Springs (not to far from Littleton, maybe 20 min drive) and when Columbine **** happened me and my friends were looked at as the threat. I'm not a hated person, nor am I unpopular, but my friend's are all the "anti-establishment" people, and the cheerleaders, jocks,preps, and the Band Geek Mafia were afraid of us. I just think back to that and well, I dunno think poorly of the cheerleaders and the rest. This was kinda of a ramble due to lack of sleep.

Originally posted by stflook
    Actually, I didn't. I still fail to see how one of the "popular" stereotypes is damaging.
    Well, perhaps Ms. Cheerleader actually has a brain. But Cheerleader and Brain are considered mutually exclusive... Then everyone assumes that the holes in the sides of their head actually meet in the middle.

This would be similar to Mr. Trenchcoat Gunman who might actually not be misanthropic... Mutually exclusive ideas of being 'friendly' and 'anti-establishment'.

There is one Cheerleader in my Science Fiction Literature class (go figure. I had extra space on my schedule.) And sometimes she asks really dumb questions. The problem is, I can't be ENTIRELY sure that they aren't intentional. You never know. I'm leaning towards the idea that they are, though, because I'm not currently interacting with her in a very positive way. (Read: Annoyed.).

Maybe the stereotype is from a very vocal (and hence memorable) minority?

In a way, 'Cheerleaders' and 'Jocks' DO play a role... They give the more 'geeky' people a way to band together... (And again, that's not a personal statement, I'm just trying to speak of large groups.) I really don't know. Who does?
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

Personally, I don't have a problem or dislike for cheerleaders. While I was in high school, all five years and three different schools (most of them have this thing about attendance while I have a thing about sleeping in, doesn't work out), I figured I had nothing in common with cheerleaders or that whole crowd. They had their sports and parties, I had my computer.

Recently though I've started to think differently, I've become friends with a very nice woman who was a cheerleader through high school and currently works at a strip club. Never would've figured I'd be friends with somebody like that, but she's actually interesting and fun to have around. Showed her how to use the computer she's owned but never knew how to use, she seemed to like playing the games on it at least. So, they're not all bad.

Anyway, what I do have a problem with is the way high-school sports and related activities compound the social division between peers. When sports players get special compensation from the schools, which extends to not only players but people involved at all(cheerleaders, etc.), it very much fosters the isolation of students from each other, and takes the emphasis off what is important, education.

Yeah, I've tended to have this slight feeling that school sports have gone *way* out of hand. It would be very interesting to compare school budgets, perhaps figure out the total percentage of the budget which goes to sport-related expenses compared to, say, computing class, or all the fine arts classes together, or the whole sciences department... I'm not expecting it to be amazingly high, but you never know what you could turn up. There was a funny cartoon I guy I know did in one of the past school papers... Basically, the staff were sitting around talking about budget cuts, and giving mustard packets or something to teachers instead of raises...

Anyway, most of the budget ended up (in the cartoon) going to finance wonder-cups (as in codpieces), $300 marvels of modern equipment designed to keep those sport-related medical fees waaaay down, and save money in the long term, a cost efficient solution. Oh, and they need to be replaced every year.

I guess the whole 'physical education' thing has some purpose, but does having it in school really foster voluntary out-of-school sport participation? The whole 'school spirit' thing... Nah, not for me, anyway. I see sports as entirely seperate from the academic/social cohesiveness of the school...

There's computer club, and there's football. The thing is, the computer club has to raise money for various reasons. The football club gets some expenses paid so they can play a game they like. Hmmmmm. (On the other hand, games could concievably be a source of income... tickets.)

I dunno, really, just musing. (And avoiding my remaining urgent homework.)

EDIT/ADDED
    Didn't want to make a whole new post...

I just found out that I got some negative antipoints... on my first post in the thread. Not that I really mind about that alone, negative antipoints are learning experiences. What *does* worry me is that it seems they thought I meant the opposite of what I said.

"Cheerleaders are no different from anything else and I think you guys are jealous of them. No Im not one!" - The Comment

That is a response to where I said:
    I guess I'm trying to point out there are exceptions to every rule, and most of humanity has this tendency towards being very quick to place other people into predefined groups in their own mental filing system.
    Where did I say Cheerleaders are a special case or seem jealous/negative towards them? I hope I'm not coming across in a way that I'm not intending.

END EDIT/ADD
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

You know what really pissed me off about chearleaders and jocks 4 years ago when I was in high school? They were smart too. There were at least 10 of them that always aced me on a test or did better on an assignment, and this angered me more. Why do they get to be popular, good looking, and smart? I thought it was either. Anyway as I grew up I learned that jealousy gets someone no where. Every once in a while I see those people, and found that they have either gained weight, had children, gotten married, or live in a trailer park now. Sometimes all of these things have happened to one person. This after they expected to graduate and become doctors and lawyers. I however own a house, 2 cars, and am a year away from getting my bachelors degree. Do cheerleaders have a purpose? Yes. Their original purpose was to get a crowd excited during a game, but a few self centered individuals gave the role a bad name by making it nothing more than a cheap popularity contest.
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19

Banned
    Luckily in Ireland there are no cheerleaders, I go to an all-boys school [how old fashioned I hear you say] but it keeps me concentrated and I dont have to put up with jocks or cheerleaders or popular people.

All I have to worry about is the homo-erotic tendencies some guy I know has but besides that school is ok.

Thumbs up the view of an ex

i believe that cheerleaders provide an extremely important role in our current society....

having dated one in the past i saw great value in their existence

they:

a. get u free tickets to the games that they represent
    b. get u free after game drinks
    c. are incredibly good looking
    d. can often contort in too positions that leave you asking the question "how the f....???" for days
    of all the things i\'ve lost.... i miss my mind the least...

Originally posted by Terr

Cheerleader and Brain are considered mutually exclusive...
    im English...so we don't have cheerleaders, but there are certain female members of the college, for whom this is sooooo true!!!!!!!! (and so not too be sexist, male too )
    There\'s no sense in being Pessimistic...it would never work anyway.

Nothing like reminissing back to the high school days. I wouldn't necessarily say that I didn't like cheerleaders. They are definitely good to look at. It was more the "popular" snotty people that I didn't get along with. Most of them ended up being cheerleaders. I wasn't a jock in H.S. therefore I wasn't cool enough to be in the cheerleaders social group. I remember once I tried to talk to one, and she gave me this really snotty face and walked away when I was in mid-sentence.

It was OK though. During computer classes when the "popular" people would ask me how I got past guard dog and played games, I'd tell them to **** off. I didn't like those people at all. The way I figured it, if they were too good to talk to me unless they needed something they could go **** off.

But those days are gone. Now when I want to see the cheerleaders I'll go on their check out line at the local grocery store. That is if they aren't home taking care of all their babies. Being a snotty slut bitch in highschool just doesn't seem to pay off unless you want to be a teenage mother liing with your parents for the rest of your life.

I know I sound like a pissed off angry guy, but I'm not. Back then I definitely was. Now I just look back and laugh. Sometimes I get a kick out of seeing where the same people that thought they were so great ended up. If one one of the people I hated back in the day tried to talk to me now, I'd be civil. But the scary thing is that a lot of the people are still the same. You figure people in their 20s would've out grown all that high school bullshit. Apparently not.

Anyway... Most cheerleaders are simply eye-candy. Nothing more.
    An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure...

High school will soon be over for you. You are young and your mind is still growing...don't hate, it's a waste of time. Get over it! If people are *******s to you, they are the ones who need help. So just get your diploma or drop out. You are going to have to deal with *******s all your life. We need cheerleaders in society. I love cheerleaders...that is if they like me, if they don't i **** them anyway.
    Sex, drugs, money, and murder.