Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie Question.

Unhappy Newbie Question.

Hey i need some help on a error that i get every time i start my comp,a error menu pops up saying the following: Windows Registry Checker Error. Windows has detected a error in the system registry. Windows will now try to repair the system registry. Push ok to restart windows., it comes up every time,it restarts and then goes back to the system registry checker and it checks it, then it restarts again. Please get back to me!

-bassic-
    bassic-(Basic) Big Time Newbie.

Sounds like your registry is bad. If your system has it you should do a system restore back to when it worked.

If you don't, you could try reinstalling the OS over your current version, or start over and do it from scratch.

Hope that helped
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]

Ah no!

Ah that would not be cool,i have alot of programs,games, etc, and my dad would be pissed! there isnt another way around this error? iv seen a help page at microsoft.com it told me to restart and hold ctrl, and then goto command prompt, and del the registry file or somthing, there has to be another way!.
    -bassic-

If your registry won't restore itself, I don't think there is another way to fix that. I think you may have to bite the bullet on this one. Why not try explaining to your dad what's going on before you do it? He can still be pissed, but he would no longer be justified with being pissed at you - unless you were monkeying with the registry. You can try booting in safe mode or command prompt, and see if you can get in that way. It's a long shot, but it just may work. That way, you can at least back-up some important documents before you reinstall. It's been so long since I installed a Windows 9x machine that I don't remember everything. I don't remember if 9x formats before an install or not. If not, you may be able to get away with minimal damage. The registry entries (that work) for the existing programs will be gone, but at least you have a good chance of keeping your documents. If you want to reinstall with something better, try installing Windows 2000. It's far more stable than any 9x OS can ever hope to be.

Exclamation Registry Restore

You should go to microsoft.com and read some more about registry restoration. if it won't restore its self you may need a disk or somethin' that had the default settings. you may be able to copy a friends registry information. but other than that... you may have to just bite the bullet
    latr,
    Remote_Access_

There is a way of re-installing windows without formatting so nothing will be lost and all the currupted files will be fixed. There is a check you can do from the start>run menu. I cant remember the code tho . I would look into it tho before formatting and losing valuable files.

There is a utility to restore the windows registry - if you enter safe mode command prompt by holding f8 or ctrl after the bios checks and before windows starts to boot, navigate to the directory c:\windows\command and type "scanreg /restore", you should be given a chioce of recent registry back ups - any that have worked before should have the word "started" next to it. Obviously the most recent back up with the word started would be your best bet to minimize loss of configuration.

Also, just for kicks, you may want to try a third party registry checker/cleaner and see if it can repair the problem in the registry. Of course you would have to boot in safe mode. I have had luck in the past with reinstalling Win98 over the top of itself while maintaining all of the data and programs on my machine after something has gotten corrupt, so it does work. What version of Win are you using?

Win98

I am using windows 98, was just checking up on microsoft.com,they say the same thing you say about typing scanreg/restore,i will try that in a few. Heres the exact error.

Windows Registry Checker
    Windows encountered an error accessing the system registry.
    Windows will restart and repair the system registry for you.
    "ok". but his doesnt repair it, heh. will try some things, thanks guys, [keep coming with advice ]

-bassic-

Did the scanreg/restore

Hey just rebooted and typed in the restore, heres what happend.
    typed scanreg/restore, 5 came up, and i pushed the 5th one, it was dated 11/21/01, when i pushed enter, it said Restoration Failed, or somthing like that,cant remember the exact message but that was it i think. So i went back and pushed the 4th one, 11/22/01. and it said it found an error and it will restart, and came back up to here, so i dont know if that worked or not. We'll have to see.