Thread: commands......

commands......

Hi, on my linux box i am trying to access the traceroute command as a normal user but i am unable to. the command exists in /usr/sbin The only way i can use traceroute is if i cd into the /sbin directory.
    How do i make the commands in that directory usable by me in my home directory without having to cd into /usr/sbin??

ps- other commands work in my home directory such as ping, netstat, ..... but not traceroute

Re: commands......

Originally posted by xtomey
    Hi, on my linux box i am trying to access the traceroute command as a normal user but i am unable to. the command exists in /usr/sbin The only way i can use traceroute is if i cd into the /sbin directory.
    How do i make the commands in that directory usable by me in my home directory without having to cd into /usr/sbin??

ps- other commands work in my home directory such as ping, netstat, ..... but not traceroute
    The reason they're stored in /usr/sbin is usually because they contain functionality that can only be used by root. Indeed, when i run traceroute, there is an option to set the source IP, something that only root can do. I would leave it the way it is and simply su to root when you need to use it.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

Sounds like a problem with your path variable in .bash_profile in your home directory, maybe this can shed some light on it - http://www.linux-mag.com/2001-06/newbies_03.html