Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OSs (not poll)

hmnnn..............The thread says not a poll

Well You all know where I stand on this issue, Do I really have to repeat myself.

Some advice Don't get to carried away or there will be flamage.

Angry Linux and hardware & video games

I believe that the main reason that Linux is so far behind in the field of hardware compatibility and video games is that (this may be obvious to many like myself, but I think that most don't) no serious gaming or hardware compony wants to or does develop things for linux. In fact it goes the other way around-the Linux community develops things for Linux, and it takes a while after a new piece of hardware comes out that someone who wants it compatible for Linux scrounges up the cash to go out and buy the product.....my 2 cents..........
    “People don’t talk about anything.” [Clarisse]
    “Oh, they must!” [Guy]
    “No, not anything. They name a lot of cars or clothes or swimming pools mostly and say how swell! But they all say the same things and nobody says anything different from anyone else. And most of the time in the cafes they have the joke-boxes on and the same jokes most of the time, or the musical wall lit and all the colored patterns running up and down, but it’s only color and all abstract. And at the museums, have you ever been? All abstract. That\'s all there is now...\"
    -A conversation with Clarrise McClellan and Guy Montag from Fahrenheit 451

On BeOS:
    Its main features:
    * POSIX compliant
    * processor agnostic and portable - you could plug a 2-button mouse into a Mac and hide the box, and could practically fool users into thinking that they're running on an x86, and vice-versa
    * preemtive multitasking (like any other modern OS)
    * pervasive multithreading - multithreading with smaller instructions than most other OSes. This doesn't make the processor crunch the numbers faster, but it reduces the time processes have to wait for a single instruction to be executed, making them work more fluently
    * symmetric multiprocessing (for machines with more than one processor - BeOS oficially supports up to 8 processors, but can actually handle any number of them)
    * a 64-bit, multithreaded, fully journaled, database-like filesystem - 64 bit to allow filesizes larger than 4GB (up to 18,000 petabytes), journaling to ensure data integrity, multithreaded to increase speed when running multiple disk-intensive tasks simultaneously. Database-like means that, even though the hierarchy of folders and files takes a more traditional form, every file can have a number of attributes, which can be searched through like with a database.
    * Protected Memory
    * well- integrated GUI and CLI - as a matter of fact, neither of them can work without the other in BeOS. You can't boot into the terminal (Be's adaptation of the UNIX bash), and the primary interface is graphical. But the OS performs several bash scripts on bootup, making the shell essential as well. And even though the main user interface is graphical, using the terminal is as comfotable under BeOS as on *NIX. What's more, once you learn to use the terminal in conjunction with the GUI, you'll appreciate the GUI way more.
    * Since it operates diffenet than Windows and *NIX, it is immune to their virii and troyans

Downsides:
    * Because the networking part is done at user level instead of kernel level, there's a lower network performance than otehr OSes
    * There is no full, system-wide implementation of file permissions (there IS one technically, bu it's not full-fetched as on *NIX). There is no default login authentication, but one is available for download
    * Hadrware support is several steps behind Windows and *NIX. But most harware built before January 2001 should be compatible (ther are some exceptions... my network card is one)
    * Now that Palm owns the intellectual property of Be, there is no certainty as of what is going to happen to Be. the biggest hopes for a BeOS revival are here http://open-beos.sourceforge.net/ and here http://www.beunited.org/

BeOS is good for almost any person. If you come from a Windows environment, you'll be comfortable with the GUI. If you come from a *NIC environment, you'll like the terminal (yes, it comes with vi). Peope that do audio and video design will love this OS - check the news from Nov. 15, 2001, on the BeUnited page.
    I would not recommend BeOS for a networking environment though... it is great for the desktop and small office environment, but its networking and security sections haven't been worked on as much as on, say, *NIX.
    Q: Why do ducks have big flat feet?
    A: To stamp out forest fires

Q: Why do elephants have big flat feet?
    A: To stamp out flaming ducks

Re: Linux and hardware & video games

Originally posted by cF_nM
    I believe that the main reason that Linux is so far behind in the field of hardware compatibility and video games is that (this may be obvious to many like myself, but I think that most don't) no serious gaming or hardware compony wants to or does develop things for linux. In fact it goes the other way around-the Linux community develops things for Linux, and it takes a while after a new piece of hardware comes out that someone who wants it compatible for Linux scrounges up the cash to go out and buy the product.....my 2 cents..........
    That may be true. But another reason is that Linux itself (until recently) was not aimed directly at gamers and the average user. Now there are several projects, such as Transgaming and WineX and the new Mandrake Linux version for gamers, that are trying to bring Linux to the games. That much for the games part.
    As for the hardware, what I've seen lately is M$ changing the software standards of their OS and hardware producers adapting to them because they know that the bulk of PC users use Windows.

PS: the new Mandrake for gamers is supposed to come out in December
    Q: Why do ducks have big flat feet?
    A: To stamp out forest fires

Q: Why do elephants have big flat feet?
    A: To stamp out flaming ducks

Linux support is improving though, currently folks like NVIDIA and Creative Labs have some pretty good drivers for their devices. Of course they are not open source, but that is to be expected. I am confident that things will get even better with time.

Lightbulb

Originally posted by hehbris
    it is pointless to learn anything.
    you are headed for a career in dick sucking
    After your time in jail you should know all
    about that...BLAME CANADA...
    \"SI JE PUIS\"

i know this is an old thread but i wanted to give my opinion on BeOS, i bought the pro edition and it came with like 4 books plus the 900 or so page BeOS Bible, to me, i ran it a few times, and the install, was simple as hell, not only could you have it installed on Windows, , like you could have a BeOS icon on the desktop, and all you would have to do is double click that, Windows would shut down and BeOS would boot up, if you wanna think about it, think that Windows, Linux and MAC OS all got together and made an OS, (BeOS runs on MACS to) some of the core people in BeOS came from apple computer, and i think it was a nice OS and it has a sence of humor, instead of regular error messages, you get funny ones, the OS and the people who built it had an awesome humor side to them, BeOS would also have abilities to allow you to take a P3 700 or so MHz Pc and make it run better than a (4, i duno but anyway i think its a good system, and even if you hate itr, youd enjoy reading the instruction manuals, and on installs, or if something crashed, everything ran on its own part of the PC, so if one thing crashed, you just refreshed that one thing and boom system back to how it was, also i think it was a great system for people that wanted to have posibilities to have a celron 556 MHz processor do well in mesin with Video, ahhh almost forgot, average boot time in Beos, 20 seconds

FreeBSD rocks...

Well theres always 1

Well theres always 1

Well theres always 1 trouble sum