Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ..Starting point..

Banned

Question ..Starting point..

I am a newbie so cut me some slack...

I've read a f#@king million tutorials and it seems like I'm missing some basic skills. One of which is programming. With so many different languages out there, I need some insight on what I shoud read up on first.(Maybe the simplest?Most important?) My guess is that I need to eventually learn C/C++, java, and ASM. Can someone help me out? })

``{[51-50}]`` excuse my script kiddie bullshit.

Ditto

Hey same prob here, iv been reading up on Perl and wanting to head to C but dont know which i should be reading up on. But i really want to get into Linux

bassic-'
    bassic-(Basic) Big Time Newbie.

Programming Questions

Hello 5150 & Bassic...

Let me first just say...Welcome to AntiOnline!!

Hopefully...I will be able to point both of you in the right direction!

What Programming Language should you learn?
    This topic has been thoroughly discussed in another thread and if you are looking for the opinion of the majority... most members here recommend C/C++.

I will warn you now that C/C++ is not the easiest language to learn, but it is well worth it..

Online Resources
    If you are looking for online tutorials and such...I recommend that you check out ProgrammingTutorials.com (www.programmingtutorials.com). They have links to several C/C++ tutorials, and also have tutorials on a variety of languages.

The AO Newbie FAQ Part III has some links to online resources for programming and is worth taking a look at...it is available here:

www.geocities.com/pharmicomlabs/aofaq

Compilers & other Tools
    If you are looking for FREE C++ compilers and tools here are a few:

Borland's C++ Builder (FREE)
    http://www.borland.com/bcppbuilder/f...pc55steps.html
    Borland has created a nice command line compiler that is available for free (However, Borland does require that you complete a survey before you download). If you need help in setting up the compiler, you can read the instructions I posted in another thread:
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=117747

DJGPP (FREE)
    http://www.delorie.com/djgpp/
    AO Member Kezil submitted this link for another FREE C++ compiler which is based off the GNU C Compiler. I personally have never used this tool, but if you need help with it...I'm sure I or one of the members can answer your questions.

Dev-C++ (FREE)
    http://www.bloodshed.net/
    AO Member pwaring submitted this link for yet another FREE & Open Source C++ compiler & IDE (Integrated Development Environment)

That should help to get you started...but remember that the best way to find tutorials and programs is to run a search on Google (www.google.com).

But...If you still have questions or need help with something...Please feel free to ask them!!

Good Luck to both of you and I hope this helps!!
    Simon Templer

\"Your work is to discover your world and then with all your heart give yourself to it. \"
    -The Buddha

Banned

props

I just downloaded the compiler and bookmarked some tutorialz. You seriously helped me out man and i appreciate it!

-5150-

Banned

props

I just downloaded the compiler and bookmarked some tutorialz. You seriously helped me out man and i appreciate it!

-5150-

Banned

also...

not only learn the language but especially web servers use the language so u can find various holes around that etc i would especially learn linux ull get now where without it if you can afford it buy a puter and put like redhat on it
    and starting up a web server like learning how it works is a great experiacne
    apache taught me heaps cept i still cant spell and finaly be prepared to get called a nerd a lot lol

Lightbulb

I would recomend you to check out the hackingtruths page @ hackingtruths.box.sk
    Ankit Faida has many good tutorials, especially on C and what compilers to use.

C++ and Python is what I would recomend. If you want to do some cgi and such on the sever end of it I sujest you peak at a little Perl.

Anyway. Here is a link to some nice tutorials and help for C++ and Python.
    http://www.mindview.net/Books

Luck to ya.
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!
    Windows NT crashed,I am the Blue Screen of Death.
    No one hears your screams.

I'm happy this was brought up. I was wondering if someone could help me. I learned C++ 4.2 with ms c++ developer studio. Is that even worth it? I can't really do anything with it. I wanna learn C/C++ but be able to use it under windows. Any info is helpful
    What do you mean you don\'t have a backup disk?

When I started to learn C at uni the lecturer I had was hopeless, he didn't explain anything, so I used a few tutorials I got from the net. The best one, I think, for beginners can be found here . This is a very readable tutorial with plenty of good examples.

Also you won't get far with a good reference book, of which there are a few here .

The website A Programmers Heaven has good resourses for programmers at any level, including plenty more tutorials and some compilers.

P.s. IMHO Pascal is a good language to learn first as it is relatively simple and it introduces many concepts used in other languages (even if it is hardly never used in the "real world".
    If you don\'t learn the rules nobody can accuse of cheating.