Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: screen saver pass

Question screen saver pass

hi, im new.
    i just want to know the way to pass the screen saver password.
    and is it good to install XP and Linux in one pc?
    thanks for all.
    pphrom

I really don't understand the screensaver question.

The XP and Linux question I do understand. Sure.. just install XP on the PC first, then put Linux on, the Linux install should find XP and away you go.

I've heard of an interesting thing on screen saver passwords on old unpatched installations of win95; apparently, the cd-rom autorun bypasses the password check!

Ammo

Cool re: screensaver password

thanks,
    mine is using win 98.
    and the PC is protected by screensaver that using password to get in the windows.
    is there a program to crack my windows screen saver passwords?
    if there's a way, please let me know.
    pphrom

ok the screensaver the easiest way is to re-start the computer, the second way is to boot up in safe mode(f8) which even allows you to change the settings. (you could even change the pass). Also you could download a tool which you burn onto a cd and it turn off the screen saver once the cd is entered into the computer.

Linux and XP well I would look at your specs. See if you have enough memory, ram, and at least a p3 or better p4. The best way is to buy another hard drive that way you're not really partioning on one drive. And always install windows before Linux.

Hope it helps.

Banned

few more

hey
    suprisingly alt-cntrl-del sometimes wokrs but im pretty sure m$ fixed that problem another old one is just finlling up the box with a lot and a lot of chars and junk but yet again im pretty sure it has been fixed.
    the cd-rom autorun bypasses the password check!
    yes that used to work unfonruanalty it has also been pathched so their is a few but im not sure cuase i dont really have an intrest in it

hmmm, the way to pass the screen saver password is to type in the password then hit enter... other than that, I think I saw a recipe on google to bypass it...

try a search there...

And having linux installed is always good, wether you have win98, or 2000 or even XP, just make sure that you have the partitions set up right, I believe that the linux boot sector needs to be in the first 8 gigs of your hard drive... so partitioning for dual boot can get interesting...

maybe that is no longer valid though.. not sure

One way to get around the pass on screen savers is
    Reboot and delete/rename the *.scr files
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.
    But when you\'re good and crazy, hehe, the skies the limit!!\"

Screen Saver Passwords

As mentioned by RiOtEr
    The Ctrl-Alt-Del trick, If I remember correctly worked with either 3.1 or Win95 pre-OSR2 (Don't quote me though) But that was fixed with Win95 OSR2.

As mentioned by freeOn
    The reboot "trick" seems to be the easiest of all methods!

As mentioned by ammo
    There are a few programs available on the internet that will show the screen saver password or disable it altogether. And the Auto-Run "trick" still works on 98...assuming they have "autorun" enabled.

My addition to this post:
    I remember a time when I got curious about the screen saver and wanted to write my own program to disable the screen saver... If your curious... the Windows registry has two key values of interest:

1. ) HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\ScreenSaveUsePassword

And...

2. ) HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\ScreenSave_Data

The first determines if a password is used...It can be set to either
    1 = Yes, Use a password
    0 = No, Don't use a password

The second is where the "encrypted" password is stored.

My theory was that I would create a program that modified those registry keys and burn it on a CD.

I could then insert my CD and if Autorun was enabled, it would run my program...modify the keys and the screen saver would either not use a password (via the first key mentioned) or the password would be changed to something I specified (via the second key)... I don't remember writing the program...but your post has sparked my curiosity again (I might try it )

A few other interesting keys are: (if your curious)
    ScreenSaveActive - Dictates whether the screen saver is used
    ScreenSaveTimeOut - The time in MilliSecond before the screen saver is activated.

Hope this has helped to spark your curiosity
    Simon Templer

\"Your work is to discover your world and then with all your heart give yourself to it. \"
    -The Buddha

I burned a little CD containing an auto-run program that dumps the password (from registry) to the a disk that may be A/B drives. From there I take the disk out, and decrypt the screensaver password on a remote computer.

This attack needs A) Data-CD autorun enabled (You can specify if you want either/or/neither Data/Audio CD's to autorun.)
    and B) A floppy drive (pretty standard).

This way you don't lose any work that was on the computer, and anyone who was using it doesn't notice that their computer was rebooted or the screensaver changed. Anyway...

Just dump
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\ScreenSave_Data
    to the disk in a small file containing the hex string, and you can use 95sscrk.exe to decrypt the pretty-weak password. I used a registry control OCX in Visual Basic to dump out the key, so posting the code here wouldn't do much good. It didn't really work well anyway, since it needed the VB runtimes preinstalled on the target computer... I ought to update that disk sometime.

Anyone know of a registry control library for C++? I'm not eager to reinvent the wheel dealing with such a delicate monlith of data.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency