Thread: Did you hear about sms virus which crach your mobil phone?

Did you hear about sms virus which crach your mobil phone?

This text is from www.theregister.co.uk

So now you can send an SMS and crash a mobile phone, so that the user is locked out.

Job de Haas, a security researcher at ITSX, has adapted a program called sms_client, which sends an SMS message from an Internet-connected PC, in which the User Data Header is broken.

During a presentation during the Black Hat conference last week, he demonstrated how a malformed message crashes a Nokia 6210 phone on its receipt. Once the message is received it is impossible to turn on an infected phone again.

The vulnerability is tied to the software used by a phone. The flaw affects Nokia 6210, 3310 and 3330 phones, de Haas has discovered, but not a Siemens phone he tried. Phones from other manufacturers are yet to be tested.

To fix the problem users have to put a SIM card into a phone without the bug. Alternatively if the SMS message is registered in a user's In-box this could be deleted with a SMS management tool on a PC.

To repeat the exploit requires knowledge of SS7 signalling and telco protocols to adapt sms_client into an attack tool. But given the power of the attack security through obscurity doesn't appeal. The kicker is that the modified sms_client makes it trivial to spoof the source of any attack.

Nokia told us that sending a message which freezes a phone is "something it encountered" before. The company is unfamiliar with the exploit uncovered by ITSX, which comes as a new twist even to clued-up Black Hat attendees. It promises to get us a more detailed technical response, and we'll update you when this becomes available. ®

Do you know where can i find something more about it?Pleas give me url of the website.

its not a "virus" anyway...
    Ah well...I\'m back on AntiOnline!

In my opinion it is a virus but all of us have diffrent opinions

Lightbulb

It's not a virus, Job de Haas from ITSX gave a talk on the subject during HAL 2001 and also provided a Powerpoint presentation on how to exploit this. I have a copy, if you would be interested please e-mail me clinton@clinton.demon.nl
    and I will send you a copy.

sebastos12
    Yeah, it's not a virus, i think that it block the card SIM.

It's more of a DoS attack than anything.