Thread: Java Backdoor

Question Java Backdoor

I have been trying to learn bout the security of computers and all. Mostly not to attack someone but to protect myself. I came across an article at astalavista.com and it was talking about how you can create a Java trojan. Basicly it was saying you can open a backdoor through Java and a webpage, and that if anyone goes to your page will have that backdoor open. I was wandering if this was really possible and if so how could i protect myself? I am sorry if this question has already been asked and answered but I am really curious.

KloWn
    kloWn

Hello KloWn,

I personally have not heard of that particular java backdoor you are referring too... Could you please post the link where you find it?

However, I have seen some malicious java code that sent certain information to a server...But at the moment I don't remember if they were applets or applications. If you are worried about mischievous java applets...then I suggest you disable java in your browser.

Although, there have been several exploits that allowed crafty webmasters/designers to either steal files or infect your computer.

For Example: I remember an exploit called Cuartango's window... which used some clever JavaScript and forms to upload files from a visitors computer. For example...a web designer could use Cuartangos window to steal your Windows Password File. This exploit is old, and patches have been released.

Another Example: There were several virii that exploited two Active X controls, which took the form of .HTA files, and I believe it was possible to become infected by visiting certain web sites.

My point being… is that if you are worried about getting infected with a backdoor then don’t “stray from the worn path” and stick to sites that you KNOW are safe. Otherwise your gonna have to “roll the dice and take your chances.”

I wouldn’t worry about it too much, do a periodic check on your OS startup locations and make sure nothing peculiar is executing…stay current on virus news and virus scanner definitions, and you should be ok.

Is it possible? In the computer world ANYTHING is possible…

I hope you found this helpful and if you have further questions on the topic feel free to post them!!
    Simon Templer

\"Your work is to discover your world and then with all your heart give yourself to it. \"
    -The Buddha

Talking Thanks

Thanks a lot that helped me out some. I didnt know that there was exploits that could be accessed with Java scripts and all. I guess its now time for me to check into it all. Well either way thanks

KloWn
    kloWn

Heh. I just use Opera, since I trust the smaller company over the humungous-bloatware IE. I mean, they keep trying to add so many 'integration' features and 'stability-comes-second-to-eyecandy' stuff...

You can download opera without Java support, which is what I did. So far I can't say I'm really missing anything, Java isn't a large or important part of my browsing experience.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

Oh yeah something else

Thanks... I'm glad you found that helpful

Here's something silmilar I forgot to mention:

There has been a recently discovered exploit for Internet Explorer 5.5 and 6 that allows EXE's to appear to be text files and if you choose to Open it from its current location it will execute without a security warning. (It was discovered by a subscriber to the Vuln-Dev mailing list available at SecurityFocus.com)

Just something else I forgot to mention

Good Luck in your studies!!
    Simon Templer

\"Your work is to discover your world and then with all your heart give yourself to it. \"
    -The Buddha

Post Opera

Hey where can I get opera like whats thier website? and thanks for all of your help yall...

KloWn
    kloWn

Opera

Opera can be found here: http://www.opera.com/ .... Although Opera is a better browser...don't let it give you a false sense of security. All browsers have there bugs, Just some more than others

Stay current on Security News "An Ounce of Prevention Is Worth A Pound Of Cure"
    Simon Templer

-The Buddha