Thread: Hub vs. Router

Post Hub vs. Router

What is the difference between a hub and a router?
    . . . the majestic equality of the law, which forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread. - Anatole France

A hub broadcasts all network data it receives to everything on the network.

A router is used to connect multiple machines to an internet connection with increased control.

You're kinda comparing apples and oranges. The two serve different functions. Did you maybe want to know the difference between a hub and a switch? The answer to that, put as basically as possible, would be that a switch is "smarter" than a hub, as it can manage its connections, as a hub broadcasts everything like an idiot. The difference does go a lot deeper than that, though. They function on different "layers" of the network.

not that this answers the origional question, but expanding on stflook's info about hubs and switches. With a switch, a connected computer can have the whole line to itself.
    pro: you can full duplex through a switch
    con: you can't sniff packets, but this can be a pro if you want security. ehem.
    so i suppose switches are just better all around.
    A buttered piece of bread always lands butter side down;
    A cat always lands on its feet;
    A cat with a buttered piece of bread strapped to its back hovers feet above the ground in a state of quantum indecision

hgkjg

You may want to be asking 'what is the difference between a hub and a switch'... like stflook said, a hub broadcasts all data it recieves to everyone else on the network, where a switch sends it only to the proper location.

-----edit------

My bad - looks like someone already said that
    \"Computer games don\'t affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we\'d all run around in a darkened room munching pills and listening to repetitive music...\" - Kristian Wilson, CEO, Nintendo Gaming Corporation, Inc, 1989.

Lets make this easy. I have two computors. I have the cable modem in one room and a router. The router lets me use the cable modem for both computors. For more detail on how it hooks up read on...

The way a router works is the ethernet network card hooks into the back of the router. All computors you want to have cable or dsl on need a wire streched to it and into the router. The router then hooks into the modem itself. So it goes...

Comoutor/s - Router - Cable/Dsl Modem

Understand? Good! No? Well lets look a little further.

The router does nothing more than splice the modems connection into however many computor you want it to go to. I have a 4 port router, meaning I can hook 4 comoutor in it without needing more hardware. You can of course get over 200 hooked up to just 1 modem. It only takes a little extra equipment.

Now you may be wondering..."If the router connects more than one computor than why arn't they networked?" Well thats because none of the computors are actually lined together. They are all hooked into 1 small machine (or more depending on how many comoutors you have).

You also may be thinking..."Wont all those computors wear that poor little modem out?" Dont under estimate the power of the poor little modem. Your connection may be slightly slowered but not by much. So dont worry about that.

Wow! All I need is to buy a modem and cheap router! Hold on a sec. Who said anything about cheap? Those tiny little routers cost $100 or more. The 4 port router I have cost $99 alone. That does not include the extra cost for wires. And dont forget the little thing you need. An ISP. Those arn't cheap. Expecially for cable or dsl.

Got anymore questions? Did one of us answer it?
    Coming Soon.......!

Well that was a router. I have no idea on hubs. I am sure that was enough on ruoter to help you understand though.
    Coming Soon.......!

Banned

i'm taking a course on some of this stuff right now,
    a hub: takes info/data into any of it's ports and sends it out all the others. simple way of connecting 2+ computers
    router: allows 2+ different networks/subnets to send data to each other, computers can't send data to a different network/subnet on their own, not normaly anyway
    routers also pick the best/quickest path to the computer you want, most of the time...

I've heard an interesting simple explanation of a router.
    A router basically acts as a guarded border between a network and the internet/another network. It keeps the inside shtuff inside, and keeps the outside shtuff outside.
    A buttered piece of bread always lands butter side down;
    A cat always lands on its feet;
    A cat with a buttered piece of bread strapped to its back hovers feet above the ground in a state of quantum indecision

In small networks a HUB may be enough but when it's more then say 5 machines then a switch would better, network traffic goes smoother and there are less collisions so less resetting.