Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why computers?

Why computers?

Most people are here at this site cause we like hacking/security or that's their chosen field. But I'm guessing we didn't wake up one day and I say, "Hey, I'm gonna learn about computer security."

So I'm wondering how you all got involved in this world. I'm sure its not just cause you had a computer when you were young. Most people do and most people dont understand this.

I'm asking why. As in what's so damn interesting about this stuff? Why do you want to know how the computer works? I'm sure some of you might have stories. Share 'em!
    Why am I still here?

A few reasons come to mind. My father worked as a programmer for the government, and always bringing home random computer parts to play with. I still have fond memories of having to dial bbs #s, placing the phone on a cradle to connect, then watching characters begin to scroll across the screen.
    I also think a lot has to do with personality. Most of my extended family remembers me as the kid who could work on a puzzle or legos in the middle of a busy room, completely oblivious to the dozen kids wreaking havoc around me.
    \"Hit me,\" I screamed. \"Bite me. Hurt me. Do something.\"
    - Robert Shea and Robert Anton Wilson, \"The Eye in the Pyramid\"

My first box whas an Acermate 486
    I learned a lot from it and somehow my intrest grew in computers.
    Years later when the Internet whas available then I guess the security part kicked in.

i became interested for all the wrong reasons originally... in my younger days (damn that was like 10 years ago...) i was all into it because the power and possibilities were intoxicating. but then i learned about the way things work and ethics and such. but everyone has to start somehow.... even if it's for the wrong reasons (as long as you turn out right)

Heheh

I first got into computers when i had a old compaq presario labtop, we played chess and other games, never got into security till i was 13. Im a big time online gamer, and decided to get into hacking/security. Knowing many basic things about them, i decided to read up on perl, and just got involved. Quake2,Quake3,UT! Woot! *Clan -=CD!* -wanting to be a linux geek pretty soon

bassic-'
    bassic-(Basic) Big Time Newbie.

Banned

hehe

computer cause ive had one since i was 3 always liked them but computer security well for 1 i was in to programming and i came across sub 7 yes i know its lame but i didnt have to ask for help on it lol and after about 2 weeks after having fun using it i decided to find out how it worked etc and i found this place after reading lots of docs i mean lots i baught a few books and then its grown in their

hmmm when i was a kid.. i want to be like those expert jewel theif.. those people who steal priceless stuff in the museum and by passing every single security measure the museum used..

i wasnt excited for the steal.. i was excited just by by passing security.. its juz shows how smart one can be when someone out smarts another smart one

and well hacking is exactly thesame.. whether u steal or not.. u still strive to be better than the others..

I was a freshman in college, and I couldnt figure out what I wanted my major to be. I always had a like of computers, but I also wanted to be an electrical engineer, and got a decent scholarship offer from Kansas State University for that. The problem was that it was boring to me. One day I woke up and decided that I was going to become a programmer. I signed up for 21 credit hours of courses at a local community college(kckcc ) and recieved two associate degrees, one with a major in computer information systems. I also took classes in networking and peripherals, and got my A+ certification. I transferred to Park University and discovered this site after a teacher had a discussion on security. I never knew how much I liked this sort of thing until college, so I might not know as much as someone who started at 8 and taught themselves, but I am working hard to learn.
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19

I started out as a gamer, Doom, Wolf3D etc.. etc.. Then I got into hardware. Then I found out about Linux and FreeBSD, started to learn a little C and Perl. Then porting/installing Id Software games on my Linux box etc.. etc.. I ran across some security stuff and started reading, next thing I knew I was hooked. I still play Quake/II/III, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Doom and all that on Linux.

And here I am today, a CS student who wastes a lot of his free time on the net reading security stuff and playing Quake.

I didn't really become interested in security until a couple of months ago. I am a Network/Systems Engineering student and I thought a strong background in this area would make me a more valuable employee.
    I first fell in love with a Commodore 64 way back when. Then I progressed to a Tandy 128 etc. It's been a long and educational relationship. I am not a self taught genius but I am more than willing to 'bust my ass and earn my stripes'!!!
    We Know Who You Are.....