Thread: Windows 2k administration, Netbios Fighting?

Question Windows 2k administration, Netbios Fighting?

I was talking on line to IchNiSan. We both discussed how we, at one point in time had recieved the following types of messages

also, we are both working/running Windows 2k Pro Systems assumedly on networks with other windows 2k pro systems.

my firewall, zone alarm, picks up the following message which is involved with the info

The firewall has blocked Internet access to your computer (HTTP) from "1.2.3.4" (TCP Port 2551) [TCP Flags: S].

The firewall has blocked Internet access to " 1.2.3.4" (NetBIOS Session) from your computer [TCP Flags: S].

this is the message:

"The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer MAGICMAN18 that believes that it is the master browser for the domain on transport NwlnkNb. The master browser is stopping or an election is being forced. "

We believe that we figured out waht it means, that the computers are fighting for control. What i am wondering is, how you disable this. Is this possible to be disabled? Is this the correct idea of what it means? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

-Mr. j0nes

-thx
    -All this will be lost, like tears in the rain-

Hi mom!
    According to my collegue:

A master browser is the computer that holds all netbios names for your network. Each time a computer starts its netbios-stack, he tries to become master browser, but it won't beat your domain controller. Win9x computers try this all the time, but are too weak compared to your server.

options?

I see, is it possible then, that i could disable and make my computer not want to be the master system? There are a total of three win2k computers on the network, all want to be the master netbios leader, can i tell mine to 'yield'? or something similar? i have looked for further information but i have not been finding anything online. Do you have any suggetsions?

-Mr. j0nes
    -All this will be lost, like tears in the rain-