Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hardware question

Hi mom!

Hardware question

Hey, I'm not that into hardware, but I'd like to know: does it have advantages to have one single memory module over two of the same size?

I've got this pc running on two pc133 128mhz dimm's, and I have one pc133 256 dimm laying around. Does it pay off to exchange two 128's for one 256?

Smile IMHO

I dont see any advantages of haveing 2 128's over the one 256. IMHO its a matter of prefrence. If you really want to see the difference install the one 256 and the take it out and install the two 128's and see which one gives the better performance.
    Trial and error muh friend.

Good Day,
    Remote_Access_

i don't think you'll see a differance, but i'd like to know for sure.
    let us know if you do it.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Hi mom!
    The one and only reason for me to start this thread was not having to test just that :)

use dem all and have 1/2 Gb

wotz wrong dit dat?
    ~Meeow~

Post Is two better then one?

I personally think take the two 128's out and stick in the 256. Same overall preformance if you ask me. And takes up less space...more or less
    ...This Space For Rent.

-[WebCarnage]

use em all

Why don’t you take out one 128 and replace it with the 256 giving you a total of 384mb. Even better if you have three slots use them all, but I'm sure if you had three slots you would have.

FYI= it makes no diff; 3,2,1 stik will all go the same speed as long as their all pc133 or pc100 and so on.

Check out my webpage

Hi mom!
    the idea was to stick a total of 256 mb in each of two computers, I just want to have one a better configuration (slighty better proc, larger hdd, etc...). Anyway, thanks for the info guys.

Re: Hardware question

Originally posted by Guus
    Hey, I'm not that into hardware, but I'd like to know: does it have advantages to have one single memory module over two of the same size?

I've got this pc running on two pc133 128mhz dimm's, and I have one pc133 256 dimm laying around. Does it pay off to exchange two 128's for one 256?
    I would say that it depends on the motherboard.. Some motherboards don't work well with larger dimms then 128 pc133.. If using a new motherboard it would not matter :-).

here

Well using 256 is each machine is a good idea. If you do use the two 128's the difference is there but its not really anything you need to worry about. Your PC has to bridge the connections between the 2 sticks and then remember which piece of info resides in which stick. With having one 256 stick your PC will only need to access one stick of ram therefore cutting out that amount of access time. The time difference is so insignificant that it probably won't matter unless you positively have to have the fastest machine on the block.
    Risk everything, or gain nothing.