Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Questions about Linux

Question Questions about Linux

I'm going to admit this right away...I've never used Linux before.

But...I am EXTREMELY interested in learning how.

I'm currently running Mac OsX...[I've been a mac user for years]...[and Windoze 2000...but that is a computer that my college supplied]

I'm wondering what I will need to get started as far as hardware... as a student I can't afford to spend a lot of money buying a brand new computer....But there are lots of second hand computers for sale that are quite reasonable...

and i've also heard that it can be difficult to instal linux...

when I inquire about linux, either the people that I have asked have never used it before, or they aren't able to give me any straight answers to any of my questions [which leads me to believe that they don't use it very often]....

I noticed that a lot of people on AntiOnline use it...maybe you would also tell me why you like it...or why you don't.

thanks

well im a bit of a linux newbie too.. as a matter of fact, im using a winux (Windows + Linux) box..

I have Windows2000 Professional, Windows 2000 Advanced Server, Windows 98 and RedHat Linux in one box.

If you're new.. choose Red Hat or Mandrake. its not hard to install, not like Debian.

The installatioin sequence of Red Hat is self explainatory and doesnt need wide computer knowledge to install it.

and since you are used with Mac and Windows.. In the installation Process insall KDE. and not Gnome.

coz KDE is windows like.

There's nothing hard about linux as long as you are eager to learn it..

i like linux coz in linux, you can configure almost 95% of it. not like Windows where you just click click click. atleast in linux.. i can tell what is going on and how its done..

Talking thanks!

that's exactly what i want!

an OS that i can use where i can see exactly what is going on

i like to figure out how things work....i want to get my hands dirty in something that is not so user-friendly....ex: click, click..done...like windoze.

I'm going to read more about it while i scrape together what i need :] i'm actually quite excited!! hehe

thanks for your input!

haha yeah alright.. well ermm Red Hat is more user friendly than debian.. but if you want something thats not really userfriendly to the core.. debian would be my weapon of choice hehehe...

But then... im new to linux so i stick to Red Hat.... hehe

and i have XP on my laptop.. though im thinkin of makin ma laptop a winux pad too.. heheh i might install linux on it soon..

so i can have xp and mandrake in my laptop..

even though im eager of learning linux.. i still cant leave windows behind coz i have tons of softwares that runs ONLY on windows.. and i need those softwares

you might be getting better answers if you'd asked this in the *nix forum. Now you'll have to listen to my 2 cents.

Their right, mandrake and red hat are the only 2 installs that are user friendly and because you'll be using an older machine, it'll be easier still. linux isn't as fast as windows in keeping up with the latest hardware, but m$ pays a lot of full time people to do that.

for your first install, let linux do an automatic full server set up. that means no dual boot because it will format all hard drives attached, but it will also set up all the partitions you'll need, which can be more than a little confusing, and install programs you don't know you want yet.

Even after a little experience with linux you'll better understad the windows system which hides behind its "user friendy" names and interface. *nix folk generally say "who cares" but its something that most of us in the IT community have to make a living with.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

I currently use Linux Mandrake 7.2 and I found it to be extremely user friendly, plus they are numerous texts and tutorials for assistance as well. I like the fact that you can get a Windows type environment when booting under Gnome, it gives you a gradual lean into the workings of Linux. Now I boot mostly under KDE. I found that it was easy to dual boot with this OS and my Win98 as well. I would say start with Mandrake, but this is my opinion and I have not tried Red Hat yet but hey.......at least its not Windows. Peace
    [shadow]Prepare ship for ludicrous speed![/shadow]

I like your style... I am managing Internet Cafe and logically am a system administrator. I do own 6 computers all dual boot with windows 98/2000 and ME. I am fond of tweaking linux and testing all the versions.

but the point is you need to have a little knowledge in linux I presume. The installing of linux is never that hard until you started installing it in actual. About those hardware you need is depending on what linux do you want to install. If you prefer to have an X windows you need more memory and a good graphic accelerator (VGA's). And I would like to prefer using GNOME or KDE. I really like it anyway.

Just remember once you install linux... your computer life is never been the same. (heheheh)
    \"The more you ignore me... the closer i get!\"

s0nIc - what have you got against debian? Its not that user unfriendly, have you tried it before making these comments?
    Tedob1 - as far as i'm aware, mandrake and other mature linuces will be courteous to a windows partition, i do not think the mandrake installer would delete partitions without first asking.

Cool

haha i got nothing against debian.. as a matter of fact. im eager to learn debian coz its very complex and more configurable than Red Hat or Mandrake..

but i was saying that since im a newbie to linux.. i use Mandrake and Red Hat... coz debian is very complex and needs wide range of knowledge in linux...

What I have heard is that Debian is excellent for controlling a bunch of computers at once. Altough I have never given it a shot.