Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Questions about Linux

I can't comment on debians power to control a bunch of computers at once,all i will say is i've been using it for a good while now and haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary in that respect, thats not to say its not there tho. The thing that gets me about debian is apt and dpkg, utilities for controling the installation of packages - if you have a properly configured /etc/apt/sources.list you can grab packages off the net with "apt-get install filename", you can update your debian box with "apt-get update" followed by "apt-get dist-upgrade" - that combined with the community aspect of debian makes it a winner in my opinion.

Please install Mandrake or RedHat, they are both very userfriendly. Preference to Mandrake, français obligé

Second install the HOWTO in HTML, in english (most complete)... they will be your every day help to what's going on in that box, what should i do for that and so...... I've seen many many threads on that site that could be answered in looking into these HOWTO.

Third, choose the right distribution version for your box, i'm personnaly running Mandrake 8 & 8.1 for Pentium & and AMD recent computer, and a Red Hat 6.2 on old box 486, because this box don't need all the new fanzy function that come with latest distribs.

My personal opinion, hope it helps and not so wrong.
    A+ hantiz.
    Linoux c\'est de la bombe bébé !

Originally posted by petemcevoy
    The thing that gets me about debian is apt and dpkg, utilities for controling the installation of packages - if you have a properly configured /etc/apt/sources.list you can grab packages off the net with "apt-get install filename", you can update your debian box with "apt-get update" followed by "apt-get dist-upgrade" - that combined with the community aspect of debian makes it a winner in my opinion.
    I've heard debian is quite good in that area. Mandrake and RedHat both have their own update software as well. I can't recall the name of mandrake's right now, but RH has up2date.
    Updating packages consists basically of registering with RHN, and then running up2date --update.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

The mandrake updater is aptly named mandrakeupdaterobot, its ok but its not a patch on apt, there is a way to install rpms over the net too, can't remember how but there is a description of it on the nmap website, and its not nearly as convenient as apt either ;-)

Thanks for your advice and input everybody
    greatly appreciated

Originally posted by hantiz
    Please install Mandrake or RedHat, they are both very userfriendly. Preference to Mandrake, français obligé

Second install the HOWTO in HTML, in english (most complete)... they will be your every day help to what's going on in that box, what should i do for that and so...... I've seen many many threads on that site that could be answered in looking into these HOWTO.

Third, choose the right distribution version for your box, i'm personnaly running Mandrake 8 & 8.1 for Pentium & and AMD recent computer, and a Red Hat 6.2 on old box 486, because this box don't need all the new fanzy function that come with latest distribs.

My personal opinion, hope it helps and not so wrong.
    A+ hantiz.

lol you are typically French. Most are really patriotic, and here is one representing Mandrake (for the ones that don't know, Mandrake is from France)

no offence hantiz

firefemme I am going to give you the hard truth. Installing and using it will be hard,even in mandrake, but you will learn how to use it better everyday. There are going to be challenges that noone will tell you about. Also be aware that your modem may not work with linux. I had to buy a modem that was linux compatible before I could connect to the internet. Also install every package it comes with because adding them later is hard from what I hear. A copy (1 disc)of linux can be downloaded free but I suggest you buy a copy unless you have cable/dsl or faster. A full copy(3 disc) will only run $25-$30 us dollars. A full fledged copy(7disc) with all the software and tech support will cost $70-$100. Cheap in comparison to Windows 2000 server.
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19

You will use Slackware. You will use Slackware and you will like it. You will use Slackware and you you will be Elite !

Just kidding.. Don't worry, you are going to strive against problems and questions that you have never even thought of when using computers in your Linux journey. But when you have used it for say 3 months, maybe less, you will be powerfull compared to your old Windoze self and that is no joke. It might take you a few installs to get it right. You may spend a fair deal of time reading How-To's, in the end you will be in total control over your system in ways you can't even imagine as an MS user.

Relax.. Have fun.. Your using Linux now (cheesy line from a magazine)

Post if you have any questions, but there are mailing lists and places to get help all over the net. Some people may know more about Linux than those of us here on AO believe it or not.

Senior since the 3 dot era

Post Some stuff

Firefemme, take a look on HOWTO's and other Linux doc's.
    Be sure that your system is compatible with Linux.

http://ldp.nllgg.nl/

http://www.linux.org/

I use Red Hat 7.1 because it's easier,
    but don't expect to learn it in a minute of two, Linux could be confusing when you're used to Windowz.

I suggest you do *not* use the server install, but the workstation install so you could always go back to non Linux partitions.

Re: Questions about Linux

Dose anyone else think that this thread should be moved to the *nix discussions? I was browsing through here and I thought I would just throw my two cents in here.

Have a nice day,
    Remote_Access_