Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Partitioning with Partition Magic

Question Partitioning with Partition Magic

Ok I got my Partition Magic and I can't figure it out. I don't think my hard drive is working. I want to create a Linux partition so anyway

1)Create New Partition
    2)(It says if I would like to put on a new operatingsystem) yes
    3)I check the box Ext2(linux only)
    4)I hit the logical button

location of new partition
    5)I highlight After C:\ (recommended)
    6) I hit next
    7) My space says 8071.7mb
    8) Then it wants me to label it, What do I call it?
    9) Then I hit next
    10) I hit finish

Then I get a nice setup seeing my current partition with my new partition
    So then I hit merge partitions and it gives me this message "There are no partitions on this drive to merge"

Could someone who has used Partition Magic to put Linux on there hard drive help me out. Give me a walkthough.

d00d.. dont worry about partition magic.. if u want to make a linux partition..

just use fdisk and create a logical partition for your linux
    and pop in your linux CD and juz follow as prompt

Well see my problem is that the Linux won't let me do an Automatic Partition. And my windows says it needs all my hard drive space. So I downloaded Partition Magic and It still won't cut my hard drive.

Ok, there should be a couple partitioning tools available to you when you run through the install. One of them is fdisk, and the other is Disk Druid. I know it won't automatically partition your hard drive, but here is the recommended way to partition a Linux box (Red Hat, anyway).

/boot 16 meg
    swap partition (no label) 64 meg
    / the rest of the space you set aside for Linux

Maybe this changes with different releases, but I don't believe it does. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not exactly a Linux expert.

Your HDD is 8 GB, i take it from your first post?

If that is so, give Windows about 4 GB
    Give linux the other 4, distributed as follows

Label Size
    ==== ===
    /boot 10 - 20 MB
    [swap] 100 - 200 MB
    / All remaining space

[swap partition is different to ext2 linux native, and doesn't require a label]

Use Microsoft's FDISK to set your windows drive 4 GB as primary DOS drive, leave the remaining space unpartitioned [dont make a logical DOS drive on the remaining space]

Then run Linux setup and partition the rest in that!
    One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them.
    One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
    (The Lord Of The Rings)
    http://www.bytekill.net

Rewandythal, from what I can see, your taking it as freeOn is installing them clean.. I assume this, as afaik, FDISK does not have any support for resizing partitions....

I take it that you already have Windows installed, and if are trying to install a linux distribution on your hard drive...

I've only used RedHat before, so this information could be wrong..
    On one of the CD's there should be a directory called DOSUTILS...
    inside this directory there should be a program called FIPS.. this will allow for you to resize your partitions, to create space to install your Linux distro...
    There are docs on using the install in the same directory... If your distro does not include FIPS, PM me and I'll send them your way...
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.
    But when you\'re good and crazy, hehe, the skies the limit!!\"

Thumbs up

Yes, I was assuming that it was a clean install. Sorry.
    One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them.
    One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
    (The Lord Of The Rings)
    http://www.bytekill.net

Rewandythal: This isn't meant as a personal attack or anything, but do you really think that he needs 100 - 200 meg for swap space? I run mine on 64 meg of swap space, and 32 meg of physical RAM. It rarely taps into the swap partition. Maybe I'm missing something, but I do think that setting aside that much swap space is a bit excessive. If you need that much swap space, it's time to go out and buy another memory card.

Rewandythal, there is no need to apologise... If anything, I should have worded my response better... your information was still good, just slightly out of context...

Stflook:I'm not good at linux (far be it, I suck mega ass at linux), but whenever I install it, I use a minimum of 100MB for the swap space..
    Basically, I follow the basic MS rule.. whatever the publishers say, at least double it... even on an 8gig HDD your not gonna miss 100meg...
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.
    But when you\'re good and crazy, hehe, the skies the limit!!\"

Ok well do I delete the FAT32 partition, but If I do that then I only get the linux operating system. The FAT32 partition says it's holding 1946mb and when I try to add the swap, / , and the /boot it says not enough space available.