Thread: defining the l33t h4x0r

Lightbulb defining the l33t h4x0r

To help all those neophytes out there I've made a list of the things u need to know if u ever wanna become a l33t h4x0r .... I did this because maybe if the neophytes have some sort of check-list to follow then maybe they wont turn into script kiddies.
    or at least, if the turn into SKs then wont be us that helped them.

01. Learn the hacker ethics and nethic (some times also called the netiquette)
    02. Become part of the community. Become part of the culture.
    03. Never ask questions if u think u can find the answer urself...
    04. Don't abuse the knowledge u have, and especially don't teach someone who u know will only abuse it.
    05. Don't abuse the law, use the law! and fight for ur rights if necessary!
    06. Ask urself: What is footprinting?
    07. Ask urself: What is social engineering?
    08. Ask urself: What is enumeration?
    09. Ask urself: Privilige escalation, hmmm, how do i do that?
    10. Help the community and it will help u. Even when every1 else just leave u to rot.
    11. Learn about *nix systems, and windows systems. (learn about the system u r interested in, but u still need to know about windows and *nix)
    12. Don't just learn to setup networks. Learn to setup SECURE networks.
    13. Get good programming skills: C/C++, Perl, PHP, ASM, etc. (which ever u will be needing the most)

TO ALL THE NEOPHYTES: We have all been beginners, but we have always been hackers! Before u start filling urself with all the info of the world, ask urself: Why? What is my purpose? Do my interests stride in the right direction?
    Maybe u wanna break the law and become a cracker (a black hat hacker), but decide now! there r places for crackers to go too, so go there instead of here if that's what u wanna be.
    Ohh yea, btw. u don't need to learn all this... But if u do u sure will be l33t!

TO ALL THE BRILLIANT HACKERS AT AO: plz submit more for the list (i probably forgot a lot) and if i have said something wrong, plz correct me... i made this thread because it's time we make the distinction between a hacker and a cracker very clear! we can't allow ourselves to be looked upon as criminals just because one of us, who every1 else thought to be a hacker, in reality was a cracker.
    zion1459
    Visit: http://www.cpc-net.org
    \"Software is like sex: it\'s better when it\'s free.\" -Linus Torvalds

This is from a neophyte:

here are some more:

1. Never be afraid to ask questions
    2. Learn how to do things without programs
    3. Never brag
    4. Learn assembler
    5. Build a network with more than one OS
    6. Listen
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19

Banned

Re: defining the l33t h4x0r

Use your iniative, strive to learn for yourself and you may find that you need not be a script kiddie anymore.

Sorry I wrote a long post but something happened and I lost the info so I just added this, Ill fix it up sometime.

Nice post anyway zion!

wow

alright
    THANX
    cause im a newbie in the world of computers and security and im here to stay LOL

very informative, but nothing i wasnt already aware of, but thanx for reminding me of my roles LOL

have a nice day all the newbies
    and to all the c00l people out there you know you are cool

*Peace*
    Dead Man chatting Alive.Always in need of knowledge, thus always in bad debts and pain.

I see the most important thing a newbie can know, is never ever program while drunk... you spend a lot of time writing something, which you could write in five minutes while sober.. and it still doesn't work....

I'm hoping when I look at the code I've been writing tommorow that I can understand it to debug it... I hate VB....
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.
    But when you\'re good and crazy, hehe, the skies the limit!!\"

very humble

I think it is important to remember, if you can't think for yourself you will become a pawn in someone's game of chess in cyberspace. You will be swiped by the other player (the FBI, gov, police, etc..) If you allow yourself to be used. How to avoid being used.... Think for yourself and research on your own. Double check everything your told and check it out with other sources. Do not do everything you are told, nor believe everything you read. Learn how to use google, altavista, dogpile and other search engines. Before learning to program, pick a language that will help you understand the logic of programming... doesn't matter if you start with BASIC or COBOL or HTML. I believe it to be difficult to jump into C++, VB, etc... without a grasping of how and why the programs work with the computer. Remember, anything you do in cyberspace will impact someone other than yourself. Leave a positive impression where ever you go!

IS IT NECESSARY ?

I WAS JUST WONDERING ..
    isit nceassary to know programming languages ? All that i come across all day is programs written in C and finally after reading the above post im sure that i must learn programming in C.
    Is that a good start for a newbie like myself ?

How does one run a program written in C ? lets say i have a something.C file. How do i make use of it ?

I know i sound lame to you pro's out there but then i agree im a lamer...

Dead Man chatting Alive.Always in need of knowledge, thus always in bad debts and pain.

Wink RE: I WAS JUST WONDERING

>>isit nceassary to know programming languages ?
    Yes, very. Someday you'll see that you can't get every program you need... you'll think "hmm.. I wish I knew how to program so I could make that." So take the advice given on that subject. Start from a easier programming language and work your way up to C.

>>Is that a good start for a newbie like myself ?

Not at as I just said work your way up. This way you have a better understanding of how it works, thus you can conquer even the harder languages later.

>>How does one run a program written in C ? lets say i have a something.C file. How do i make use of it ?

Well, to run a compiled program written in C do this:
    Type; $./<program> [Options] (once in the directory of the program)
    e.g. $./home/zigzag/lamerprog.exe -kill -all -lamorz

Now then.. to "make use" of that .C file; if your on a *nix system type:
    gcc -o <desired prog name> <.C filename> (For more options and there uses type man gcc)

Well have fun

Smile

thx for the good posts... I'll write the complete list (or whatever i should call it) and add it to my hp... does any1 else have some good idears to where i should add it?
    zion1459
    Visit: http://www.cpc-net.org
    \"Software is like sex: it\'s better when it\'s free.\" -Linus Torvalds