Thread: linux where and how

linux where and how

hie peoplaan of the world
    i am a user of win xp and someone suggested to me that i start using linux since i am interested into computer security.

I want to know whats the best version of linux i should download and where do i download it from....?????

please guide in me the right direction....
    Dead Man chatting Alive.Always in need of knowledge, thus always in bad debts and pain.

If I was you I wouldn't go for downloading Linux. It's much easier to buy a book on how to install it (and these books contain cd's with Linux OS on them).

I once bought a book called 'Red Hat Linux Bible'. And my system was up and running in a few hours.
    ---
    proactive

There have been many posts to this nature so far, and even several polls so people could vote. This site is biased towards linux, so expect at least a few responses. As for the best version, unless you try them all and make up the decision yourself, you will never know. Of course everyone has their own preference, but that doesnt mean that it is the best. I would not suggest downloading unless you have at least cable/dsl on your computer. The distrubutions run around 600-1000 mb for a full featured version. As for learning security, you would be suprised to see what you could learn running a windows box. Setting up a network is also a great way to learn security.
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19

teach me oh master

As for learning security, you would be suprised to see what you could learn running a windows box
    well i usually read the texts on the net regarding various exploits people have performed and the various vulnerabilitiesthat exixts in different platforms.

What i was told is that if you want to learn & know about hacking then you need to know more about linux and Nt stuff.

I am hooked on to the net via 64 kbps cable which gives me a download speed of 15 kbps MAX till date ( slow cable eh) LOL

*hope for the best expecting the worst*

so what are the possibilities for security vulnerabilities i can peep into using win xp P
    Dead Man chatting Alive.Always in need of knowledge, thus always in bad debts and pain.

Windows won't let you get down to the nitty gritty nearly as much as linux does, if you want an understanding of how an operating system works - linux is a safe bet.
    Downloading a distro with a 64k cable connection would take quite a while, but if you're not in any rush than there wouldn't be any harm in using a download manager and letting it download while you're in your scratcher (bed). As to where to get it -
    http://www.linuxiso.org is a good place, although you'll get better speeds if you decide what distro you want (mandrake/red hat/suse are all good for beginners) and look for a local mirror, here's a list of mirrors for downloading mandrake - http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/ftp.php3
    Have fun.

THIS IS WHAT i love about forum boards

thanx
    ive taken your advice and putting linux red hat on download with flashget tonight while i sleep, I know its gonna be around 24 hours while the whole thingie comes to me LOL
    Ok so after its downloaded i just burn the iso file and there is a install thingie like it was in windows xp ? right?
    any complications i should be aware about ?
    i will be double installing it along with win xp on a different partition on the same hard drive.
    thanx for the help dudes

next posting on my venture with linux very shortly

Well the easiest ones to install are the SUse and the Mandrake. I have Red hat but can't use both for some reason becasue it won't partiton my hard drive. Plus my modem is a winModem which won't let me get online with Linux. God why can't life just be simpler.

I'd have to say mandrake is easiest to install for a newcomer to linux... and easy to configure after that as well, but it tends to hide a lot of text-based config that is useful for net admin etc. behind graphical stuff which is good if you're in a hurry to configure it but bad for the learning process.
    One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them.
    One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
    (The Lord Of The Rings)
    http://www.bytekill.net

Originally posted by freeOn
    Well the easiest ones to install are the SUse and the Mandrake. I have Red hat but can't use both for some reason becasue it won't partiton my hard drive. Plus my modem is a winModem which won't let me get online with Linux. God why can't life just be simpler.
    I would have to say this about SuSE, the installation is not quite as easy as they say. Yast1 and 2 plus Sax 1 and 2 are not able to solve all hardware problems. Mandrake you can get running within 2 hours, unless you'd rather tweak with SuSE.

Yep. I usually have mandrake re-installed and configured after I **** it up in about an hour and a half to two hours!
    One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them.
    One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
    (The Lord Of The Rings)
    http://www.bytekill.net