Thread: windows c++ programs

Question windows c++ programs

i've tried making programs in c++ for windows, the hard way, not using a visual basic like interface. i realize that when you compile the program it's processor specific but then how do all these programs you go and buy run? is there something i'm missing? icq is/was written in c/c++, i know because my old copy crashed and it dumped code out, but one download will run on any computer regardless of the CPU type. i'd appreciate any help, i've only been working with windows programming for a little while.

Have you ever looked at the MFC app wizard. You should realize what's going on when it starts asking you questions. Use that as a reference guide to help you out. I personally just use the App wizards. It's less time consuming.

If your writing it to be non-visual be sure to set up your project as console applications. If you want to use graphics/windows i would recommend using the MFC wizard (see previous post)

oblio
    It is not 'processor specific' per say. When you compile a program on a P2 processor, it won't only work on other P2's, it will run on all intel PLATFORMS. C++ is PLATFORM SPECIFIC, if compiled on an Ultra Sparc processor, it will run on a great deal of Ultra Sparc processors, not just the one it was compiled on. I'm not sure how this exactly related to hand coding windows API calls, maybe you can be more specific.

Agree with oblio. Just compile your C++ code, and what you should be worried about is your code running on older versions of Windows...not processors. Make sure you use Win32 API calls that are present in older Windows versions too....or try substituting them as the situation demands. e.g. Windows 2000 includes a lot of new API calls which earlier versions don't support.
    Ah well...I\'m back on AntiOnline!

Originally posted by Manish
    Agree with oblio. Just compile your C++ code, and what you should be worried about is your code running on older versions of Windows...not processors. Make sure you use Win32 API calls that are present in older Windows versions too....or try substituting them as the situation demands. e.g. Windows 2000 includes a lot of new API calls which earlier versions don't support.

hello manish,
    my name is bhargav and i am also from india(bombay) .
    i am working as a system programmer with C and UNIX but have started just three months back and hence does not know C in that deep.
    i have heard that we can embed or attach an .exe file with a jpg image. i asked one of my friend and he told me that this is done in C . he told me that u have to append the exe file to the image but first have to convert the format of exe as that of image. he laso don't know about this. i don't know exactly how to go about it.
    can u tell me how to do that...i willl be very grateful to u..

thank u ...waiting for your reply...

bhargav...

ohhh no answers on this..yet....pls anybody....

just pushing this up......

intruder...

what exactly do you mean by embedding an exe in a jpg file. To the best of my knowledge this cannot be done!! Probably thats why nobody's talking!
    Lets stop Thinking and start Drinking!

It's not what you write or how you write. It's the way you write.

yes i do
    help yun
    www.chkh.com
    china hacker