Thread: linux advice

Banned

Question linux advice

I really need to get started with linux and it turns out i have a copy of SuSE Linux 6.1. Would anybody recomend this for a newbie or shoud i get something like Mandrake or Redhat? I have been learning some basics in C++ but i'm not quite there yet.

-5150-

Arrow

My advice is to definately get a copy of Mandrake if you've never used *nix before. Then you can move to something else.
    \"If you torture the data enough, it will confess.\" --Ronald Coase

i just asked this question yesterday.

Mandrake is best for newcomers to linux

[I'm sure i typed that earlier today!]
    One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them.
    One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
    (The Lord Of The Rings)
    http://www.bytekill.net

Re: Linux advise

From my past experiences with Win/Lin installs your best to save the stuff you need and FDISK every thing. Chop your drive in half.
    install Windows then Linux. I use Disk Druid. For my swap partition I use double of my physical ram then for the / parttion use the rest of the drive. Linloader should be installed and you should be good to go! hope this helped.

If you defragment windows first, then install Mandrake 7 or later, it can resize your windows partition without data loss... install itself in preconfigured partitions set for your specific system based on what the installer detects as physical ram etc... and then install common components, set up X *and* install a boot loader... it does all this if you click the 'Automatic' install option when it asks....
    (The Lord Of The Rings)

If it's Mandrake you wanna use then get Mandrake 8.1
    It will support most of your hardware.

Cool

Agreed... like I said, Mandrake 7 or later... I use 7.1 and I'm thinking of gettin another P120 with about 32MB RAM to put SuSE or RedHat on.

Which would anyone say is best out of the two? I've tried RH5.2 before, but never tried SuSE... Might give that a shot actually, but I gotta get another PC first!!
    (The Lord Of The Rings)

I would say go SuSE!
    And one more thing to all you newbies, if you want to learn linux that's fine. But let me give you some advice, many people want to learn Linux because they think it's cool/leet etc. But before you start learning it you must master the OS you are using now wether it be WIntel or MacOS.
    A good hacker must know how to work with windows as well as a Unix flavor.
    Many want to learn Linux while they don't even know how to partition or what DHCP is etc.
    These basic skills are vital before starting on a new OS.
    I advice you to get an account by telnetting @ sdf.lonestar.org and learn how to work with a Unix system and send/receive e-mail using Pine.
    Once you get used to the non graphical system then you could say let's give Linux or BSD a try.

Hoped this will help you out.

Banned

HELL YEAH!

Thanx for the advice and i'm sure i'll be up and running soon, i have to download the 650 mb program, but one thing; i have a 40 GB drive, i dont think would need to partition half of it. maybe just 10-15 GB would do it. if i get impatient i'll either buy mandrake or just run SuSE.

-5150-