Since everyone seemed to be (semi) interested in the magic lantern story I've decided to make another thread on the subject. The full story and more can be viewed here:

http://www.silicon.com/bin/bladerunn...=REQINT1=49613

On with the show...
FBI's password snatcher could be used against them...
The FBI's controversial snooping virus Magic Lantern could ultimately be a threat to the organisation itself.

The FBI's controversial snooping virus Magic Lantern could ultimately be a threat to the organisation itself.

However, the spyware has caused controversy in the anti-virus industry. Many experts claim that as soon as variants start appearing in the wild it will become impossible to keep a track on who is snooping on whom.
Graham Cluley, senior technology consultant at anti-virus vendor Sophos, told silicon.com: "There's no reason why organisations targeted by Magic Lantern could not write a variant of the virus for their own use.

"Before we know it, we'll all be spied on by everyone and anyone, the FBI could even become a victim of its own code."

Cluley added: "Asking the anti-virus vendors to turn a blind eye is not really the right way to go about this. Our job is to detect malware and alert our customers regardless of where it came from."

Magic Lantern is part of the FBI's Carnivore surveillance system programme.

For related news, see:
Men in black develop spying virus
www.silicon.com/a49328
Transatlantic Cable: The reaction to 11 September
www.silicon.com/a47561
ISPs join forces with FBI to track terrorists
www.silicon.com/a47361
US wants own 'Snooping Bill'
www.silicon.com/a38638

I don't know about you but I find this to be fairly interesting--

Remote_Access_