Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oz Hack?

Oz Hack?

Hey!
    I just had this idea. I'm thinking of creating a new hacking group, well not really, just a security discussion group much like antionline. Why do i wanna do this? Well mainly because I see that these sites are American based, and i'd like to see some Australian sites out there, showing the world that we don't all live in the outback, riding kangaroos, drinking beer. We do have some very smart people here that are willing to learn. Not that AO doesn't attract people from all over the world, just thought it might be a good idea. I also haven't seen any hacking/security related organisations from Australia around and would like to start one. Please post your replys and thoughts. Anyone from Australia or anywhere please tell me your interest.
    thanks

Drink beer while riding a kangaroo? I can't wait to get to Australia! If it wasn't for those damn snakes......

Anyway, what this world needs is people with some initiative. Go for it!
    ---
    proactive

Cool

haha that would be cool.. me and ma mates are even thinkin of starting our own HAL2001 (Hackers At Large 2001) and call it SHAL2001 (Sydney Hackers At Large 2001). haha

already we have hundreds of people joining in our public LAN parties.. hopefully it would be bigger soon..

there are a lot of very very intelligent computer litterate people here in sydney..

As my experience as a network Administrator for a year now.. i have trained a lot of kidds and they are very smart and can pick up deeper concepts really quick...

Hi mom!
    Maybe you could consider this:

What would your site add to the hack/security/internet-community, apart from some faq's on "how to drink beer on a kangaroo for newbies and Norwegian ppl" ?

But seriously, imho, it's better not to split up the resources - by keeping all info on a few sites, you serve the community more than by creating yet anoter site.

My two cents...

Serving the community as a whole is al good and well but what about the news and info that has a specific interesting for .oz? (maybe virii warnings or something) The big country in the west (US) has a tendency to dominate the news flow at the expense of more local news.
    besides
    ..i'd like to see some Australian sites out there, showing the world that we don't all live in the outback, riding kangaroos, drinking beer.
    this is a good reason as any. Good luck morfius
    Dear Santa, I liked the mp3 player I got but next christmas I want a SA-7 surface to air missile

s0nic, you've gotten my attention....

I don't ride kangaroo's, but I do drink a lot of beer...
    I would like to see more gatherings down under, as I often see or hear about functions happening, but they are all in the US... and I can't swim that far, gawd damit!!!
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.
    But when you\'re good and crazy, hehe, the skies the limit!!\"

Talking

Well something like HAL will have to be organized every four years and also have a diffrent name.
    Altough your idea BDKHHAL (beer drinking kangaroo hopping hackers at large) sounds very original.

first i just want to say that i don't think that there is anything wrong with riding kangaroos and drinking beer... i actually am now intrigued to try it (if i could just catch that damn kangaroo....)

but really... i think that it is best to keep all your resources together. i think that in order to solve the news problem and virii alerts in other area other then the u.s. there should be a way to submit articles of news for review that can be posted on the site.

just a thought....

Re: Oz Hack?

Originally posted by morfius
    Hey!
    Why do i wanna do this? Well mainly because I see that these sites are American based, out there, showing the world that we

I think that this is a brilliant idea. Perhaps with localised news issues as well?

there are some localised LUGs around like SLUG (sydney linux users group) so its not that there are no organised groups of hackers around in australia, it just appears to be low-profile, or exclusive (i think the ACS - australian computer society - is exclusive). anyway, count me in.
    \"If you wish to speak to technical support, please hang up now.\"

*click*