View Poll Results: What you think of my site?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Good

4 40.00%
  • Sucks

2 20.00%
  • Haven't gone

4 40.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: General Chit Chat idea

Hi mom!

General Chit Chat idea

I'm not sure about this idea myself, it has some pros and cons, but I'd like you to comment on it (and on a sidenote, it's a nice way for me to experiment with adding a poll to a new treath :P)

I hear people complaining all the time about antionline losing its computer/security-identity. At first, it didn't bother me at all, but I have to admit, lately, there are some post that make even me wonder why they are posted here.

My suggestion: Exclude the 'General Chit Chat' forum from the front page of the site. That way, people can continue to drop notes about AIM and other things in life that makes us all warm and fuzzy inside. On the other hand, people that visit AntiOnline for its security contents, won't be dissapointed either. Please, comment!

That's a great ides, and users/new visitors should look into previous posts instead of asking the same things. Like the linux posts, there are new ones on a daily basis and all ask questions or have polls about the same thing either it be distro's or configuration.

welll...

The general chit-chat forums are a great way for everyone to de-stress from everyday life. Besides, many in here look forward to the "how do i hack hotmail" threads that appear so frequently, lol.

Personally, I think it is a great way for everyone to get to know each other better and to create an atmosphere that is less formal. This site is a community! In a community it is important to get to know your neighbors and bullsh*t a bit. So what, sometimes bullsh*t goes on more than it did last week. All parties that are disapproving of the general chit-chat threads should not participate in them. Further more, the same parties could make a greater effort to post and pursue the security related issues that they crave.

Noone will make you eat strawberry icecream if you don't like it! Just as noone will make you read or reply to the general chit chat threads.

Remember, you get out of AO what you put in! (yes i know you said just removing it from the main site, but should only members/senior members be allowed access to the general chit-chat threads to keep the bullsh*tters out???)

I think it's a great idea, Guus. That will put focus on the interesting topics, and you still can go to 'chit chat' for fun. Personallaly, I would like a general programming section for non security related programming. But there are many programming newsgroups out there so I suppose I will continue to use them for my programming needs.

And I like to comment on the search-engine on this site. I can't find a way to search all AO forums at the same time without having to search related newsgroups also. It makes searching for old topics difficult. Perhaps that is the resons the newbies can't find answers to their questions?
    ---
    proactive

Hi mom!
    Sorry, I did not know the discussion forum tree (...or how is it called?) is reachable only for the registered members of AntiOnline.

On the other hand, non-registered members are not a member of the community you mention, so, they're probably not interested in the general chit chat part of the forum. (Cheez, I'm not trying to get under your skin here, I'm just trying to provoke a discussion).

Nice Idea but....

Hello Guus...

I suggested this idea a little while ago with limited success...

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...5&pagenumber=2

I decided that this was one "windmill" I didn't want to battle...

(In case you don't understand the pun, "windmill" is a reference to the book Don Ouixote...Translation: "It was a battle I didn't want to fight")
    Simon Templer

\"Your work is to discover your world and then with all your heart give yourself to it. \"
    -The Buddha

Hi mom!
    I'm sorry Simon, I was unaware. No offense taken, either :)

no prob

No Guus, no problem you didn't get under my skin.... i just simply think that perhaps if everyone wants to have security related topics discussed and less chit chat then my suggestion would be for new members to achieve atleast member status (30 positive AO points) to be able to POST in the general chit chat... perhaps that would make some people happy, but then again it's only a thought.... not one i support!

Getting rid of the Chit Chat wouldn't be a bad idea but I think a link up at the top of the page would help so that you didn't have to find it by going through the Discussion Forums link to find it.
    Why am I still here?

I think that we should keep the general chit chat area but it shouldnt be a major section. I dont like the idea of AO deterring from its original purpose but at the same time I AO to retain its interactivity. General chit chat allows user to just talk about anything and that creates a good environment for everyone. For me, it was a great way to start and get accustomed to posting. For newbies, it is somewhere that they can post their ideas and opinions before they are able to learn enough to tackle security issues. Many of us want to focus our attention on the security and programming issues but we also have to remember all the other people that may not understand everything yet.
    Life is just a series of decisions, each one can alter your future and you can possibly end your life at any moment. Do you really want to be under the care of the Microsoft Support Center?!?!