Thread: dual boot question + Gilligan poll

dual boot question + Gilligan poll

I want to dual boot redhat and win98, putting each on their own partition. I understand that I install 98 first.

My question is after formatting, and partitioning, and getting Windows working.
    I want to do the workstation version and was wondering how do I get it to install on the second partition. Also, what changes need to be made to which boot files?

Thank you for your help

Gilligan Poll

Ginger or Mary Anne?

Install Win98 and leave space on the disk for the *nix partition(s).

Run the *nix install and it will configure the space itself.

It's very easy, try it, you'll see!

Maryanne all the way

Maryanne was much hotter than ginger!!!!!!!!
    -Madhatt3r

Re: dual boot question + Gilligan poll

Owen, if you already have 98 installed on a single partition that takes up your whole hard drive, I'm pretty sure Red Hat has a partition manager under the "expert" installation mode that will allow you to resize the win98 partition in order to make room for your separate linux partition. When you do install linux, if your linux partition is going to be over 5-7 gigs, you need to make sure you create a small (47 megs or so) /boot partition at the front of your hard drive for the kernel image. The linux boxes I've dual booted with have had issues with the loader being over the 1024th cylinder of the disk, and wouldn't work properly unless I did what I said above (I'm dual win/linux myself). Or, an even easier thing to do would be move the whole windows partition to the back of the hard drive, and there you go! I took the hard route for fun. Hope it works out for you the first time (reinstalling linux over and over gets old, but trial and error, what can I say...).

P.S.

Lilo or Grub will take care of the booting, if you've installed win98 first.