Thread: bad situation

Unhappy bad situation

i'm about to get banned from the computers at my school, meaning i'll lose some major credits i should have if i want to go to university. someone set one of the computers to think that it needs a password to access a printer and they seem to think i did it. i didn't... any suggestions on how to prove my innocence? they have the date it happened and the computer, i used it on that day, but i need to find out what time it was altered so i can prove it wasn't me. thx in advance

See if they have logs on the server. This kinda happened to me too. Except for that i took over a linux server at the school. They just guessed. If they have no logs then you probably might get screwed. Usually they always need someone to take the rap and they don't care who it is.
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]

Angry Bull!!!!

If they don't require you to log in with a unique user id and password there is nothing that should be held against you!!! besides by deleting the drivers or remapping it there shouldn't be a problem!

Hehehe

I have been there.. Done that.. First semester of college.. I changed a screen saver password and accessed a solaris shell account.. Got Banned.

But I went into the computer lab when she wasnt looking like four or five times.. heh she caught me a couple of the times...

My picture was put up across the comp lab saying if I was in there.. To kick me out...

Gawd I love the reputation I got..

<Bows Humbly>

Then about a year later I downloaded all the PWL files from many of the teachers windows box's.. Cracked em. Then had a good ol' time making "Fake" conversations between teachers via the schools crappy BBS

Note: The most common password used by teachers is: Apples
    ------------EViLSEED
    Hackers are impervious. Resistant is futile.

thx, but one question. i found out that one of the teachers in charge of the computers that got messed up said the .ini files were messed up, if this is true then i should be able to show them the time/date they were altered, what directory would those be stored under? i think it's a win98 box, could be win2000 though, they have both OS's running, like half and half i think, there's 10 computers.

oh i forgot, it's not over a server, the printer is just sshared with no password. someone did something to the pc itself and only that one thinks it needs a password.... i'd tell them i could fix it but then they'd probably blame me more...

do a search for the name of the ini files. Make sure that in the view settings you have show all files set.
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]

the .ini files can be found by a simple search. u should tell them to check the time they were altered... the only problem is that if they auto-altering... the time will be wrong. but that usually doesn't happen.

thanks for the help

If they aint got any logs to prove your guilty then they can't do ****.
    Besides any moron could have done it just as a joke.