View Poll Results: So, how much are you paying for your internet?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • $9.95 ~ $21.95 American for my Dial-up (tax excluded) (no-ad)

2 20.00%
  • $9.95 ~ $21.95 Canadian for my Dial-up (tax excluded) (no-ad)

0 0%
  • $40~50 American for my broadband internet access (including modem rental fee) (tax excluded)

1 10.00%
  • $50 or higher American for my broadband internet access (including modem rental fee) (tax excluded)

0 0%
  • $25~40 Canadian for my broadband internet access (including modem rental fee) (tax excluded)

4 40.00%
  • Mine cost cheaper than any of those listed above.

2 20.00%
  • Mine cost more than any of those listed above.

1 10.00%

Thread: Should AV software detect FBI's keylogger?

Question Should AV software detect FBI's keylogger?

Kind of old news but:

Do you think companies that make Anti-Virus should include signatures to detect the FBI's Key logger software?

http://www.securityfocus.com/news/292

I suppose if it's easy for users to find the FBI software, it wouldn't be worth ****, would it? It's kind of a good initative from the FBI to start this project. I think it's a little like tapping drug dealers' cell phones, and even though I wouldn't like if they tapped me, I see this can bee good for society as a whole.

But I would like my AV software to detect all know trojans in my system, in case some cracker could create a software that would pass itself off as the FBI-trojan.

So I guess that leaves med with an 'undecided'.
    ---
    proactive

Angry

Yes they should, and if Norton and Mcafee don't ****ing agree on that one then I will have to switch to Sophos since they will not cooperate with Magic Lantern.

A foreign government agency (of wankers) that want´s to keep track of me buying some buds in Sweden. For me there can only be one answer and it involves extending my middle finger high up in the air.
    Dear Santa, I liked the mp3 player I got but next christmas I want a SA-7 surface to air missile

Personally, I'm interested in how they're going to go about getting the payload onto the desktops...

Keep in mind guys, McAfee and Symantec both make lots of money selling to the governments. Keep also in mind that they don't want to get on the government's bad side, so they've got very little in the way of choice.

Think of it this way: If an AV company uses software to alert some guy who's part of a terrorist group that he has this software on his PC, I would think that that could be classified as obstruction of justice. After all, the FBI was simply trying to do their job and protect Americans, right? So then this AV company decides they're going to get in the way?

It really depends on how it's used, but I personally just see it as another tool.

It'd be one hell of a funny thing though, if the cracking and virus writing community got ahold of a copy and reverse engineered it for themselves. Then the AV companies would have no choice.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

Originally posted by chsh

It'd be one hell of a funny thing though, if the cracking and virus writing community got ahold of a copy and reverse engineered it for themselves. Then the AV companies would have no choice.
    That's what I am afraid of, this **** could backfire on the FBI or fall into the wrong hands and Mcafee and SYmantec will have to fix it.
    If they don't then Sophos will have to. Besides the FBI can say they will use it just to plant **** on terrorist computers but what if they do it on many more ppl.?

What about the anti virus software giving you a false sense of security by pretending to check for key loggers?

AntiOnline Senior Member
    I think that the AV companies wouldn't ever put that in their software. Why? Because the FBI would probably pay them off not to put a keylogg detector in the software.

Angry FBI

The internet comunity as a whole must come together on points likle this, it's all very well that the FBI want the info on criminals but why use such a stupid method, they allready have echelon (or does it still "not exist". We can't stand by and let the FBI, NSA, MI5&6, GCHQ etc.etc.etc decide where the internet is headed, it's time we all tok a stand and said NO to all of the spy software and hardware out there. If nothing else don't you think more things like this fromhe FBI is going to piss off the terrorist's!

Angry

My two cents: if the FBI needs the help of commerical Anti-Virus companies to bug computers, they don't deserve to get any info! Maybe the FBI needs to hire more techs.... or ask the NSA for help (or maybe stop bragging abouts its software?!?!?!)

- Jimmy
    - Jimmy Mac

Replicants are like any technology, if there not a hazard, its not my problem....