Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The culture.

The culture.

I've been fascinated by the 'hacking culture' ever since I first started BBS years ago. Hack* is a term used and abused by one and all, most notably those whom lack any real knowledge as to what it entails (i.e.: media). I'd like to give my perspective on the definition of the 'hacking culture' and perhaps get some replies with your thoughts and your own definition.

The obsessive-compulsive acquiring of knowledge most definitely seems to lie at the very core of this subculture. Whether it's sifting through core dumps for fun and profit or memorizing obscure technical manuals, hackers seem to crave such endeavors. Can one be a hacker without a large body of technical knowledge? Maybe, but I think you'll find that that's often not the case.

Individualism seems to be quite pervasive as well. While groups and 'organizations' of hackers have, do and will continue to exist, one can only really be a true part of these when one has accumulated a ridiculous wealth of knowledge. These rights of passage limit the aforementioned organizations to inherently exclusive (often extremely exclusive) memberships. I don't contend that all of these organizations are open to membership, as a slew of them are tight knit groups of friends, but I digress. My point is that to even fit the minimum requirements of joining such organizations, you must spend a large amount of lonesome time on acquiring the knowledge/skill necessary. My contention is that this breeds an individualistic sense of self, and this is carried on even when one makes contact with other like-minded folk.

I believe these are the only two characteristics that can be said to generally propagate throughout the ENTIRE spectrum of the culture. Things like operating system preferences, programming languages of choice or specific knowledge in any one area seem, at best, trivial and unimportant.

I'd be delighted to hear your thoughts on this matter!

Politicians want power.
    Greedy people want money.
    Hungry people want food.
    Tired people want sleep.

Script Kiddies want to harass other people and then brag about it.

Hackers (true hackers) want knowledge.

P.S. I really like the initial post.
    Why am I still here?

Originally posted by Alcatraz
    Politicians want power.
    Greedy people want money.
    Hungry people want food.
    Tired people want sleep.

Script Kiddies want to harass other people and then brag about it.

Hackers (true hackers) want knowledge.

P.S. I really like the initial post.
    Exactly, and Hacking is a state of mind

Heh...

Someone is trying to hack me... AAAAaaaaAaaaHHah$$#%@!
    WHEEEWEEWEEWhfwkje;lr3g45l;324h5l4325u3425R$W^%^q234^%@43%#@543'254235#@%!$#%&^ DSAGF@E$

Whoa... Freaky...

@#$%#@%@&432t32463432rsrdf3v24563245tfdt54t

OH MY GO4QDddDDDDCE3r#@!^yxcgn nehresgew%^%^#@$545324

BALHSDAYAYFBCALDHAYD8YAYDBALIT[Y23I6U5I76894!#@$^%#^*#$^%43

**NO CARRIER
    ------------EViLSEED
    Hackers are impervious. Resistant is futile.

sweet

Remember those days back in the dialup BBS's

line static and...

**NO CARRIER
    ------------EViLSEED
    Hackers are impervious. Resistant is futile.

Eating_Scarlett
    autumn regret

your writing style turns me on.

The obsessive-compulsive acquiring of knowledge

thats an understatement.

i HATE not knowing something. not the people who do, i admire them, just the fact that i don't, and love the fact that i hate it.
    when i come accross something i don't know sleep is not a question. with mortor and the books ive aquired in the persuit, i can build a house. 1 or 2 small rooms but a house just the same. hours and hours on line searching. You call this a life?
    that's whats so cool about computers, you can love hating not knowing forever. As soon as you learn what you don't know, along come a few more thing you havn't a clue about....and their coming to take me awwaayyyy

here i though it was just me. LOL :-\
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Cool

I recon it would be really mad if one has the talent to hack and phreak at same time....

Cool

I've done both, but not at the same time!

it is more than just acquiring knowledge.. it is also being able to use that knowledge and the mentality/approach that 'nothing is impossible'.
    \"If you wish to speak to technical support, please hang up now.\"

*click*