Thread: Partitioning

Partitioning

I currently am running just windows 98 in my box but i want to make 2 partitions to install linux mandrake and windows 2k. Does anyone know of any good tutorials and/or programs for this? Thanks.

Try FIPS or Partition Magick. Or if you don't mind losing the information on your 98 setup, just use fdisk/cfdisk. Go to Linux Documentation Project and look at the HOWTO's there. Good luck.

Happy Hacking
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Warfare is the Way of deception.
    -Sun Tzu \"The Art of War\"

you can install Windows 2000 on the same partition as 98. Just insert the disk, answer no to the upgrade and choose a clean installation of Win2k. Dont reformat the hard drive or try to convert to NTFS. Actually Im not sure the installation process will give you the option to reformat or change FAT tables, but if it does choose no. Now when you reboot 2000 you can boot to "Windows 2000" or "Windows" choose 2000 to finish your installation. Then you can defragment your hard drive, and use FIPS to create a partition for your LInux installation. It must go below track 1023. Install Mandrake on the new partition and boot from Grub or LiLO, as either one of these will let you boot to your Dos partition. I believe you can get DOCS on installing Linux at Redhat.com. Hope this helps.
    I dont read these.

I you have never done this before then use Partition magic and make sure you make backups.

Use Partion Magic. Have used many of times and it is easy to configure.

Re: Partitioning

Originally posted by cire
    I currently am running just windows 98 in my box but i want to make 2 partitions to install linux mandrake and windows 2k. Does anyone know of any good tutorials and/or programs for this? Thanks.
    If you already have win98 on a single partition that takes up your entire hard drive, and want to have separate partitions for mandrake and win2k, simply use diskdrake during the expert install routine to resize the win98 partition to make room for your linux and win2k partitions. Just for your info, diskdrake CANNOT resize win2k if you choose an NTFS filesystem (write is still experimental with the linux kernel for NTFS).

Post Re: Partitioning

Originally posted by cire
    I just installed mandrake, and found that it came with its own partitioning utility for the installation. All you have to decide is how large you want the windows partition to be. Switching from windows to linux becomes even easier.
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19

Make backups. Use Partition Magic. This program is the easiest way to partition your hard drive if you are a newbie to Linux like me.
    We Know Who You Are.....