Thread: Solaris for Intel platform

Solaris for Intel platform

Today I received my copy of Solaris for Intel from Sun Microsystems and I wonder if there is anybody here who has given it a try. If so, how whas your experience?

Whats your machine config? (Speed/RAM)
    Ah well...I\'m back on AntiOnline!

AMD 500 mhz, 256 mb Ram

PHP/PostgreSQL guy

Talking

A friend of mine installed Solaris (not sure which release) on a PC at his house and so far, it's still running. He didn't have any special kind of configuration (like RAID or anything) and it didn't have any problem detecting or configuring anything. You should be perfectly fine with an AMD 500 w/ 256mb RAM.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

Thanx, I'm gonna spend my weekend trying to install it and get it to run.
    Will let you know how it went and if it's worth trying.

In my experience it is not as fast as it is on a SPARC, but that could be for the same reasons that Linux is not as fast as possible off the default install. (Set up to run on just about any IDE HDD regardless of DMA, PIO etc.. etc..) I plan to fool around with `hdparm' or whatever Solaris counterpart to hdparm there is and see if I can get it to give me that `Solaris Speed'. I am hoping to get like 16.x MB/s or faster, could be possible.

AMD 1.4 GHz, 512 MB DDR RAM. IBM Deskstar 41 GB ATA/100

Computer Forensics

solaris on Intel

well, I have downloaded and installed Solaris 8 for Intel and I ran it for a while. The install was easy enough and it ran great. The reason it doesn't run as well on an Intel chip is because of the multitasking capabilities that the SPARC has over any intel chip. Intel's will bog down if you get multiple things running at one time, whereas a sparc would still run strong.
    I guess thats why solaris is free on Intel's up to 8 processors.
    good luck
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust