Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a humorous note

a humorous note

i was watching the news today and heard something funny, so i thought i would share it wih y'all. they were talking about an ISP that is giong out of business (i wasn't paying attention to which one) the funny part is how the news caster (who was obviously not "web savvy") said it. He stated, and i quote "the isp provider company...." so essentially he was saying, the internet service provider provider, which is not what he meant. i love hearing the technology depraved talking about things they can't understand.

reminds me of the whole atm machine issue (automatic tell machine machine....)

I always thought it was asynchronous transfer mode...

PHP/PostgreSQL guy

Smile

Yeah really...it can vary from anything like people referring to their towers as 'the big hard drive' to "Yeah, I have 40 gigs of RAM" to "I know computers, I'm on the internet too with AOL"...
    Nothing's wrong with not knowing but when you're trying to show how much "you know" about computers and you say something stupid like that, well...better suck it up because you'll come out looking like a dumb@$$.

Quote: 90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.
    Quote: Being a unix sysadm is a lesson in humility everyday.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

at least 70 - 80% of the people i ask to restart their computers turn their monitors on and off...go figure
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

atm is asynchronous transfer mode. automated teller machine happened to fit and sounded more user friendly
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Cool

yeah well.. u all are right... ATM does stand for Automatic Teller Machine and Asynchronous Transfer Mode... but they are both different things...

The ATM, Automatic Teller Machine, is that thinga-majig that spits out your money...

The ATM,Asynchronous Transfer Mode, is a network technology based on transferring data in cells or packets of a fixed size. The cell used with ATM is relatively small compared to units used with older technologies. The small, constant cell size allows ATM equipment to transmit video, audio, and computer data over the same network, and assure that no single type of data hogs the line. (source: webopedia.com)

regardless of the techinical meaning of atm (i did know both definitions)..... nost people in america only know that atm stands for Automated Teller Machine... so they are stupid to say atm machine (in reference to the machines that spit out the money), which was the point i was making. maybe i should have specifeid

Another one that I hear often in class is " How do you go about finding a DNS server" or "I was curious about this tag in the HTML language" Those aren't the exact things that are said but you get the idea. hehe
    [shadow]Prepare ship for ludicrous speed![/shadow]

Cool

So I get a phone call from the "big cheese" and he's asking me why his workstation is not on. ...O.k.,, Is there a message on the screen?.....Um, yeah, only it's different. and I quote-->"blue box,and it says No Signal".... and thus, Gravity and physics may be a bit too much for the security measures you curently use.

Originally posted by lekt0r
    Another one that I hear often in class is " How do you go about finding a DNS server" or "I was curious about this tag in the HTML language" Those aren't the exact things that are said but you get the idea. hehe
    Isn't it domain naming service, not server? In which case, there would be nothing wrong with saying DNS server.