Thread: Win2K local admin

Unhappy Win2K local admin

Help! I recently tried to log into my pc under admin and got an error message stating that: "the local security policy won't allow me to log in locally" WTF? Is there a way to work around this? Perhaps log in as a normal user and upgrade my permissions? I'd like to do so instead of reloading Win2k and losing some files.
    @lm!ghty

Can you give us some more information, in regards to the situation your in...
    Is the computer Networked? Is it part of an AD network?.. What is your normal user level?
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.
    But when you\'re good and crazy, hehe, the skies the limit!!\"

Question

Are you sure it says you are not allowed to login "localy"? or it says due to local policies you are not allowed to login "interactively"...?

Cool

hmmm and by the way.. by default.. normal user cant change the policies.. unless your changed the rights of your normal user.. then u can.. if not.. only admins can change it..

He could use runas to run the User Manager tool as an Admin.....
    I don't know if runas checks all your access permissions..
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.

Cool

ok matty just gave me the idea..

login as a normal user... go to Computer Management.. (HOLD the SHIFT key while doing this) then right-click and go to Run As.. and Run as Admin.. and then from there.. u can set the local policies.. Genius!! thanks MATTY! haha

You're right the message I get states the following:

it says due to local policies you are not allowed to login "interactively"...?

I just tried your solution of holding down the SHIFT key and that didn't let me keep the changes that I had made when upgrading a normal users account to admin. Also, this pc i'm referring to is not on a network or AD
    @lm!ghty

@lm!ghty, read this technet article ... it might contain a solution for you..

Best of luck..
    -Matty_Cross

Unhappy

Thanks, after several hours of trying to figure this thing out I decided to do a clean install after retrieving the important data. Thanks for the technet solution now I know what I did wrong; silly me.
    @lm!ghty