Thread: Learning Linux

Learning Linux

Ok, I am a complete newbie to Linux. I've been using MS-DOS since the mid 80's but I don't know any *nix. Lets put it this way, I don't know any commands, don't know C or anything.

What I have. I set up RH 7.2 on a pentium 75 - it's all installed and ready to go. I've set it up with no gui - only command prompt.

What I need. Some links to places I can learn the basics. ie - directory traversals to running programs, stopping services, installing/uninstalling programs, etc.

The goal. To set it up as a straight firewall/proxy server. Now for this I can look at this thread, but I need the basics before I start that.

Anyone have some good links? I'm interested in learning Linux and C (I already have an advanced knowledge of Java so theoretically I should be able to pick it up easily). Hope someone can help me - I know I came to the right place!
    - Stronzo

\"Vini, Vici, Vidi\"
    I came, I saw, I conquered.
    - Julius Caesar

Heyaz

Try this link there's alot of info about getting started and even a few links to the "more advanced" topics

http://www.linux.com/learn/

Regards

Bad_Karma

Hi Stronzo!

Good day to you! Aside from the cool site given by Bad_Karma, here are some additonal cool links that would help you in Linux as well as in learning C:

www.linuxplanet.com
    www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/
    www.thelinuxgurus.org/tutorials.shtml
    www.hardcorelinux.com/
    www.webwareindex.com/tutorials/C.html
    www.programmersheaven.com/

Have Fun!

I expect to pass through life but once. If, therefore, there be any kindness I can show, or any good thing I can do for any fellow being, let me do it now… as I shall not pass this way again. " ~ William Penn

I'm a newbie to RH myself. I found some interesting info at Linux.org. Hope this helps.
    We Know Who You Are.....

Computer Forensics
    www.1001tutorials.com/c/index.shtml

for your foray into C.
    your best bet, and I'm not trying to be a smartass, is go to google.com and search for C tutorials......you will get a ton of links.

as for learning linux:
    www.learninglinux.com
    www.redhat.com(obviously)
    www.linuxnewbie.org

You are also at one of the best references for learning linux.......antionline.com ask here in the *nix forums......
    or IRC.antionline.com if you want to come and chat about it sometime.I am there mainly during the day, and there are plenty of others to talk to as well
    if you like, I have a 1500 page linux command reference book in .pdf format. email me or PM me if you are interested.
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust

Depending on how serious you are about this, I seriously suggest you buy some hard copies about RH and C, this way you can carry them around with you and read them if you have some spare time, I do this with my Learning Red Hat Linux Special Edition, which is for RH 6.2. I carry it around with me to all me classes, and i usually get about 20 pages or so during the school day doing this. I also sometimes carry around Learning Perl with me (which I got from the library-haven't bought it yet). Only problem with buying these books is they usually run $30-55 each. I payed 45 for my Learning Red Hat Linux SE, about a 2 years ago, which I still read and am still glad I bought it.....
    “People don’t talk about anything.” [Clarisse]
    “Oh, they must!” [Guy]
    “No, not anything. They name a lot of cars or clothes or swimming pools mostly and say how swell! But they all say the same things and nobody says anything different from anyone else. And most of the time in the cafes they have the joke-boxes on and the same jokes most of the time, or the musical wall lit and all the colored patterns running up and down, but it’s only color and all abstract. And at the museums, have you ever been? All abstract. That\'s all there is now...\"
    -A conversation with Clarrise McClellan and Guy Montag from Fahrenheit 451