Thread: netstat

Question netstat

Hello all: I have checked the tutorial section and cannot find a real good answer to my Q.
    Here goes: just how do you read the netstat report, I.E what ports should be open and listening?
    Thanks once again......
    KNOWLEDGE IS OF TWO KINDS: We know a subject ourselves or we know where to find information upon it. SAMUEL JOHNSON

theres a lot of factors that can involved, you got proxies, name servers, IM., email, realaudio, win amp.
    it would help to know what os your using and how its configured.
    Is it a server, workstation, *nix, win9x, 2k they'll all give you a different netstat printout.
    isa listens on every port.
    it all dependes whats running on your computer, if you get a firewall it will usually name the processes trying to access the internet. Theres also a program called Fport that gives you a read out like netstat and names the processes that are listening.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Post Re: Netstat

Q.
    Here goes: just how do you read the netstat report, I.E what ports should be open and listening?

Like Tedob1 said, There's alot of factors that are involved, , you got proxies, name servers, IM., email, realaudio, win amp... And other services that run on other ports. Every thing that is connected to your computer or if your sending/recieveing information you'll be able to tell what service it is, what port it's connected to, what protocol it is, and whether it's still connected (Established) or if it's listening. And again, like Tedob1 said,
    "It all dependes whats running on your computer..."

Remote_Access_

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    One thing to do is take some time and save the output to a file and go through to check what you normally have open (see what the others have posted on that) and then go through your firewall settings (I use Zonealarm Pro) and shut out everything else. This adds to the security that you know what's running and that it's supposed to.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

Hi!

Maybe you wanna post a snippet and folks here may tell you, if there's something bad there!
    ---
    If you cen\'t beat them: Have them beaten! ;-)