Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows 2000 Pro

Windows 2000 Pro

Need some help. I have a Gateway E-3400 (667mhz cpu/128mb mem) running Windows 2000 Pro. The system keeps locking up. It seems to lock up when 3 applications are started. I started word then excel and when I tried to run powerpoint it initiates the startup of the application and then the hard drive locks up. I can't cntrl alt del nor can I power it off with the power button. I have to unplug it to power it down. My questions is could a bad memory dinn be causing this? Perhaps it is hitting a corrupted page of memory and causing the lockup? If anyone has had this happen or has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.
    Regards,
    Geno

\"Disciples, like diamonds, are developed in a process of time and heavy pressures, and both the disciple and the diamond reflect and magnify the light that comes through them.\"

Neal A. Maxwell

Could either be the memory or it could also be the OS. Check the memory first. You should also check to make sure that your processer is properly ventilated and your power supply is working properly too.
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]

Cool Virtual Mem

hmmm yeah it could be the memory....

ok.. here's what u do.. how much RAM do u have?
    if u think your RAM is not big enough and u cant afford to buy another stick at the moment, increase your paging file (also know as the Virtual Memory) and by default the Paging File of Win2K Pro is very small.. try increasing it.. and see what happens.. if the problem is fixed.. then good.. if not.. then come back and tell us.

I have 128mb of memory installed. I already bumped the paging size up. I took the 128 and multiplied that by 3, which came out to 384 and made that the min and max. It was still acting the same.
    Regards,
    Geno

\"Disciples, like diamonds, are developed in a process of time and heavy pressures, and both the disciple and the diamond reflect and magnify the light that comes through them.\"

Neal A. Maxwell

Do you have access to a SIMM Tester (with the DIMM expansion socket?) If so, test your DIMM stick(s) to see if it/they are working properly. Sometimes Windows doesn't catch that there is a bad block in the RAM. You may also want to look to see if it uses one 128M stick, or more than one stick. If you recently upgraded the system, (using two or more sticks) they may not be compatible RAM. If all else fails, you can also try replacing the RAM with a known good stick. If it doesn't give you problems, then it's the RAM. If it does, it is probably something else (though you may want to test the RAM you pulled in a different box, as well.) Hope this helps.

PS, I almost got to work at HP. Wish I would have gotten the contract. Oh well.

Happy Hacking
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Warfare is the Way of deception.
    -Sun Tzu \"The Art of War\"

larryjs
    If may be bad mem.......however...try this. right click on the toolbar and choose properties. click on the advanced tab at the top.in the menu box that appears put a check in the box beside "display administative tools" now click on the start--programs--administative tools ---services. Now at the menu at the top look for startup type. In that whole column below that feild you have two type of services automatic and manual. Right click on all of the manual services and disable them. reboot the system. If the problom is solved(I think it will be) you can enable them one by one until the problem reappears.When and if it does(sometimes its just the loading order) the last service enabled is the offending service. now enable all the others and keep that one disabled. It could also be an automatic service(disableing those can cause the system to halt and not startup again(and it CAN be one of those causing the problem.I do not know how knowlegable you are but you want to stay away from disabeling OS automatic services and contentrate on disableing autmomatic services from programs.If you screw up(write this step down)
    reboot the system and (I think? anyway it tells you on the bootup screen how to load it)) hit the spacebar to load the last known good configuration and it will clear up the screw-up
    I realize this is alot of trail and error but sometimes its the only way to track down a problem like this.. If this works...well... Your Welcome. If it doesn't is still handy to know

Question

hmmm.. what CPU do you have?

Larryjs -- how do you disable manual services? They aren't started! Also your description of how to access the services snap in is waaaaay off - put a check in which box on what menu? Try right clicking the my computer icon on the desktop and selecting "manage", from here (the microsoft management console - mmc) you can access the services, event viewer, logical disk manager and a whole host of other administrative tools.

I do not know how knowlegable you are
    But *we* know how knowledgable you are ^_^

HPgeno -- It is kinda hard to say, but your machine machine locking up like that without bluescreening could indicate a hardware fault, try some of the diagnostic tools available here - http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0...0.html?tag=dir

larryjs
    Originally posted by petemcevoy
    "Larryjs -- how do you disable manual services?(I TOLD YOU HOW read the ****ing post) They aren't started!(Boy you are a REAL dipshit!look at your own machine if your running win2000) Also your description of how to access the services snap in is waaaaay off - put a check in which box on what menu? Try right clicking the my computer icon on the desktop and selecting "manage", from here (the microsoft management console - mmc)( I wanted him to be able to access all of the admin tools and this is the best way) you can access the services, event viewer, logical disk manager and a whole host of other administrative tools." MAN YOU are one STUPID ****. Whats your I.Q. ....10? You are a total ****ing moron.I wanted him to disable all manaul services that were already you snot nosed faggot.And my instructions on how to access the services are exactly right you DUMB ****. Why don't you just go and blow your ****ing head off.Its the only way to cure that disease you have ***DOWNS SYNDROME****
    Oh ...and I ADMIRE your lame ass response. GO DOWNLOAD SOME DIAGNOSTIC PROGRAM... how original!!!!! Are you sure you don't work for Dell Tech Support? Its the perfect job for a dipshit like you.

But *we* know how knowledgable you are ^_^ I know alot more than you apparently because you sure look like an ASS right now

HPgeno -- It is kinda hard to say, but your machine machine locking up like that without bluescreening could indicate a hardware fault, try some of the diagnostic tools available here (HOW ORIGINAL OH.. bye the way those programs you are pointing him to are for beginnersand they don't tell you ****!!) If you want a low level diag go here. http://www.tufftest.com I will even give you a serial# for it) http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0...0.html?tag=dir

it may also be that something is messed up in your os. if this is the case, you can try reinstalling... or you can upgrade to XP (which locks up less then 2000 and you never have to reboot) or change over to linux.