Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows 2000 Pro

Larryjs -- how do you disable manual services?(I TOLD YOU HOW read the ****ing post) They aren't started!(Boy you are a REAL dipshit!look at your own machine if your running win2000) Also your description of how to access the services snap in is waaaaay off - put a check in which box on what menu? Try right clicking the my computer icon on the desktop and selecting "manage", from here (the microsoft management console - mmc)( I wanted him to be able to access all of the admin tools and this is the best way) you can access the services, event viewer, logical disk manager and a whole host of other administrative tools." MAN YOU are one STUPID ****. Whats your I.Q. ....10? You are a total ****ing moron.I wanted him to disable all manaul services that were already you snot nosed faggot.And my instructions on how to access the services are exactly right you DUMB ****. Why don't you just go and blow your ****ing head off.Its the only way to cure that disease you have ***DOWNS SYNDROME****
    Thats a beautifully crafted retort larryjs, its unfortunate for you that you're still wrong, and i'm still right :-)

Check check check :

- check memory refresh rate, try something slower. Low end PCs are furnished with shitty SIMMs (like I have) have will cause crash when trying to "push to the limits".

- check cooling.

- check BIOS update

- check if things are better with lower CPU frenquency.

- test & try other SIMMs, with friends SIMMs.

Just work around the problem, you will finish by finding the answer.

A+ hantiz.
    Linoux c\'est de la bombe bébé !

Originally posted by larryjs
    If may be bad mem.......however...try this. right click on the toolbar and choose properties. click on the advanced tab at the top.in the menu box that appears put a check in the box beside "display administative tools"
    This is the default in my installation of Win2k Pro...

HPgeno: I solved this problem by rebooting with the Win2k Pro CD in and installing the OS again (w/o formatting the drive). Then reapply any and all service packs, and you should be set.

Is this problem specific to Office, or to Windows in general? In your example, you cite three Office apps, so I just want to make sure it's not an MS Office only problem.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

An addendum to my previous post:

larryjs spouted:
    I know alot more than you apparently because you sure look like an ASS right now
    Untrue, what pete said is accurate, you can get there by right-clicking My Computer and clicking Manage. Your method also works, but you're wrong in saying that he's incorrect about how to do it. You get quick access to a lot more through the MMC, and you can accomplish the task through there easily.

I'm not sure if you're familiar with Occam's razor, but it definitely applies to computers, with a slight change in verbiage.
    Occam put forth the idea that if you had two theories, each regarding a specific subject (gravity), that were both equally true at the given point, that you would keep the simpler of the two.

It applies very well to instructions given out regarding computers.

Anyhow, the truth of the matter is that both work, and there was no need to write a poorly written and obviously not well thought out post like you did larryjs. It's really not worth getting all that worked up over.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

Senior since the 3 dot era
    Another good post by chsh, he is right from the begining till the end.

Here some other advice for the Win2k box.

I had probs with an old Office in Win2K (it sometimes didn't started office products). Upgrading to a newer version of Office resolved the prob.

This sounds like a memory stick problem. Changing the swap file size won't fix it as the problem occurs in the RAM long before swapping occurs.

If it doesn't lock up when first booted but does after the system has been turned on for awhile then you need to check the processor cooling. If debris gets between the processor and the heat sink when the heat sink/fan the cooling efficiency drops dramatically.

One last thing to try is defragging your hard drive, an extremely fragmented hard drive will crash the system when asked to do a lot of swapping. I don't know why but I have seen it happen on my busy servers.

Stuart

larryjs

Thats a beautifully crafted retort larryjs, its unfortunate for you

that you're still wrong, and i'm still right :-)
    [/QUOTE]

RIGHT? what are you right about? When I said disable a manual service Don't you think I meant one that was already STARTED?
    Some services can cause certain .dll files not to be released . This causes memory conflicts which can lock a system up. And yes MANUAL services can be disabled. simply right click and choose "stop" As for the way I told him to access the admin tools thats the best way...I'm sorry pete if your're too stupid to follow directions....I feel sorry for your help desk boys

Manual services aren't started unless another service needs them, if you start disabling servies willy nilly you'll find yourself with more problems than you started with - your advice was bad and wrong.
    Don't try to tell me your method of accessing the admin tools was superior either, tha mmc is widely accepted as the defacto means of administering your windows boxen.

larryjs
    Originally posted by petemcevoy
    Manual services aren't started unless another service needs them, if you start disabling servies willy nilly you'll find yourself with more problems than you started with - your advice was bad and wrong.
    Don't try to tell me your method of accessing the admin tools was superior either, tha mmc is widely accepted as the defacto means of administering your windows boxen.
    Bullshit! Bullshit! Bullshit!. It can't cause any trouble that a reboot will not solve(using last known good configuration)It can ,however track down a problem. MOST(and don't misquote me *******)manual services can be stopped without a problem. Hell....you can even stop some of the automatic ones without a problem( and don't misquote me here either I said SOME). I told him how to recover if he hosed it. You're just an *******.

Don't get so excited larry
    In your first post to this thread you told the guy to disable *all* manual services, you've now changed your tune. Your advice wasn't as bad as i first made it out to be, but i still think a machine locking up like that would be_more_likely_to be hardware rather than software problems.