Thread: Books

Books

I need help deciding what books to put on my christmas list, and I was hoping you could help me sift through all the useless junk and get the real gems.

I've already got the hacking exposed series on it, and I'm looking for books related to:
    1. Hacking/Security
    2. Viruses
    3. Cryptography
    and other main elements of the hacking/security fields

Thank you very much for the help.
    Preliminary operational tests were inconclusive (the dang thing blew up)

\"Ask not what the kernel can do for you, ask what you can do for the kernel!\"

Hacking Exposed, whatever latest edition is. One of the most useful security books I've read. There *might* be a more useful book out there, depending on your specific interests, but I think it would be an excellent all-round gift for anyone interested in computer security.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

If you're looking for a book on cryptography, then you'll not find anything that tops Applied Cryptography by Bruce Schneier. It's even filled with sample source code.

If you're into cryptography and hacking and the likes, a good work of fiction that's certainly worth looking into is Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson, the well known cyberpunk author. Snow Crash by the same author is also good.

As for books about viruses and hacking, I'm pained to say that you will most likely be wasting your money, unless you're a white collared middle-aged manager working for some mind-numbing corporation, that is. The information written in these books is geared towards that target demographic, so caveat emptor.

Post UNIX

Get the book UNIX EXPOSED...it's made by the same people as Hacking Exposed, only for UNIX this time.
    ...This Space For Rent.

-[WebCarnage]

also..

These are the books I've found so far..What are your opinions on them? (Book suggestions still wanted, too)

1. The Little Black Book of Computer Viruses: The Basic Technology—Mark Ludwig
    2. Computer Viruses, Artificial Life, and Evolution: The Little Black Book of Computer Viruses—Mark Ludwig
    3. The Giant Black Book of Computer Viruses—Mark Ludwig

4. Red Hat Linux 7.1 Bible: Unlimited Edition—Christopher Negus
    5. Hacking Linux Exposed—Brian Hatch, James B. Lee, George Kurtz
    6. Hack Attacks Encyclopedia: A Complete History of Hacks, Cracks, Phreaks and Spies over Time—John Chirillo
    7. Hack Attacks Revealed: A Complete Reference with Custom Security Hacking Toolkit—John Chirillo
    8. Hack Attacks Denied: Complete Guide to Network LockDown—John Chirillo
    9. Crypto: How the Code Rebels Beat the Government—Saving Privacy in the Digital Age—Steven Levy
    10. Applied Cryptography: Protocols, Algorithms, and Source Code in C, Second Edition—Bruce Schneier

Again, thanks

Post ...there's more...

[list=1][*]Swiss Family Robinson and the Hackers of Doom[*]Great Expectations...for your OS[*]20,000 Leagues Under a Trojan[*]JRR Tolkien - The Lord of the Packets[*]Hacking for Dummies[*]Learn to Hack Root in 24 Hours[*]Pocahontas and the Adventures of John "Cracker" Smith[*]Free Mitnick - A Story of An Insecure Whale[*]Treasure Root - A Dream of Finding the Gold...[*]Hacker Boys - Three Detectives, On A Quest For Justice.[/list=1]

My point being, with the books you have already, you won't finish reading them all until 2004's Christman Eve. Chill man, buy what you have no on your list, and finish reading those first. Don't try and be to greedy, for Santa's been watching...
    ...This Space For Rent.

-[WebCarnage]

Point taken..

hehe, I get the point.. But I don't actually expect to get all these books, I'm also building a list of books that could be helpful if I need to find something and trying to acquire a reference library.
    (btw, I'm a very fast reader/learner, so I could probably finish them somewhere around spring 2003 )

I just bought hacking linux exposed, but I found that the book is way over my current level of knowledge. I still read it though, just it takes me a while to understand. Also I tryed out one of the things on my home network to see if it worked and surprise it didnt. I'd like to set up telnet in my home just to see if I can somehow get root from my linux box using one of my windows computers.
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19

Post Books

Ok, this post isn't going to be about any *particular* books in mind. I just was skimming the web, and thought about buying some good fictional books, but on hacking. Sorta like that movie Anti-Trust. Great hacker movie, but fictional. Get books like those, I'm sure most of them (since their authors...not movie producers) will research about hacking and the differences with cracking, and pheaking...so on and so forth. Check it out: Amazon.com

Hope you get what you want/need. Lates.
    ...This Space For Rent.

-[WebCarnage]