Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Missguided Newbie

Unhappy Another Missguided Newbie

Hi All!

First i want to say that im 17 and i have been on the internet since i was 12. Since i saw the movie "Hackers" i wanted to learn all about that. I started then i gave up cuz i didnt understand. So many guides say so many things and point u to different links. For once i would like to know what u need to learn, the base of knowledge, so u could just learn enough about computer security. I got linux when i was 16 and in 4 months i already had it under my power =). Im a very fast learner. But i give up cuz i just dont understand somethings sometimes and i think im just wasting my time. Besides i cant find any decent internet buddies that dont flame me all the time or get tired of answering questions. Hell! All of those elite people out their where once newbies. I just ask for all of u nice people out their to point me to the right information on networking, security, and eveything else. I really want to have a good concrete base on all of this cuz im planning to study computer engineering.

Thanks!

Heres the college where i plan to study at:
    http://www.uprm.edu

Buy the book "Hacking Exposed". It's loaded with all kinds of good information. I have the third edition. It categorizes everything by simplicity, popularity, and risk. No hacker or security person should be without it.

NOTE: Please don't use it for evil.

Your training starts here young padowan.
    Hacking Exposed is a good book to start with, an MCSE book is good to learn networking, like "MCSE for dummies" or whatever.
    You must be Zen with your knowledge, do not be afraid. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to the Dark Siiide.
    A buttered piece of bread always lands butter side down;
    A cat always lands on its feet;
    A cat with a buttered piece of bread strapped to its back hovers feet above the ground in a state of quantum indecision

Talking

Where do you think i would find a copy of "Hacking Exposed"? would local bookstores sell them or those large book store chains or would you have to order it online?
    Thanks,
    -[h3llbringer] is back, again.
    -MSN CLoNE.

barnes and noble
    B. Dalton
    Crown Books
    just about any large bookseller should have it
    A buttered piece of bread always lands butter side down;
    A cat always lands on its feet;
    A cat with a buttered piece of bread strapped to its back hovers feet above the ground in a state of quantum indecision

yeah, i started at about the same age but i first thought being a script kiddie was real hacking... lol, not anymore
    i don't know what the MCSE is like but i'm taking Cisco's CCNA right now and the first semester alone teaches you everything networking, at least the basics. and semester 2 is all routers.

Question

Thanks for the replies. But..... exactly what do i have to learn first??

first you should read the hacker manifesto... then you should learn some basic info.... like what ip addresses are.... some tcp/ip stuff, how to use linux (commands and such), then you should prolly learn about firewalls, security measures and flaws, and prolly some programming languages. (the least you should learn is C++ and then some), learn what encryption is and how it works(algorithms and the such), learn about compilers, learn how os's work.... the list goes on forever... just read everything you can find. after that... decide what you like and move from there. specialize. someday, you shall be elite....

Arrow

Well I personaly started of with Linux after having used Win for most of my life...

Harnessing the Powers of Linux (and I really mean making it work like YOU want it to work) is a good starting point.

For Security I liked the "Maximum Linux Security" (can be bought from Amazon) quite well ...
    If you don't known networks though it's a bit tough!

For Networks try the "Linux Network Administrators Guide"
    It's not too tough and gives you a good introduction.

I personaly have a network with about 8 Computers at home and use that to set up different networks and try stuff...
    Like adding this to ipchains breaks that...

Hope this helps!
    ---
    If you cen\'t beat them: Have them beaten! ;-)

thanks all. i have linux on my box. been using it for 7 months. im reading like crazy. also playing hacking challenges at www.lameindustries.org and www.area-6.net im strating with html after i get that mastered ill try xml thenb javascript. i just get confused cuz i have to read so much and dont know where to start, but ill get there. thanks!

Cheers!
    Knowledge is Power!

--

See that no one renders to anyone evil for evil, but always pursue what is good for one another and for all. - 1 Thessalonians 5:15 -