Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux is not more stable!!!!

Banned

Angry Linux is not more stable!!!!

I recently installed mandrake 8.1 and the install went over without a hitch. But now I begin to notice problems similar to windows. First Konquerer would crash on me for no apparent reason. Second I crashed the OS twice in one day, just by trying to fix the system clock. Finally after the computer was on for three days straight, the modem just stopped working. I had to reboot to get it to work again. Gee this seems a lot like windows 98. Maybe before you linux lovers praise linux, you should warn others that it has problems too.

Cool

hmmm thats new.. i really havent tried mandrake but i do want to try it.. why not use Red Hat? and oh.. u want a system that would never crash? get debian or other text based linux O/S coz thats why most linux monkey oeople say that linux never crash its coz they use the txt based versions..

Talking Linux can be stable!

I've used a lot of different OS's but most of all linux and I have to say that of all of the distro's mandrake caused me the most problems. If you don't mind a text based install then try Slackware which worked perfectly for me. I find Red Hat is a good compromise, you get lots of handy, graphical tools and a stable system. If your'e feeling really brave you could try FreeBSD, it's a bitof a steeper learning curve but it never once crashed when I have been using it. I hope this helps you, one more thing linux.org have a BIG list of distros.

I've been using linux for 1 year (SuSE) and it has
    never crashed on me.All OS have thier problems but
    M$ beats all systems hands down when it comes to
    crashing and programming holes.Linux at least makes an effort to fix these problems.M$ it seems
    like with every distro they spit out seems to have more holes than the last,and you have to wait for
    M$ to issue you the patch because its closed source.With linux and other open source OS you can
    fix those holes yourself,providing you know how to
    code.Even if you dont code a patch is avalible
    fairly quick.

Another thing is that you might have a misconfigured box,because linux doesn't crash all
    that often if at all.I had my box up for 4 months
    once without a reboot.

Lucky for us we have linux cause If M$ is all we had,I would stop using computers rather than use
    such a useless OS.

Criminal

Banned

Angry

As if my problems werent bad enough, after I wrote the last message I went to disconnect from the internet, and everything just froze. I couldnt use my mouse or keyboard. I ended up just shutting it off and turning it back on(not a good idea with linux). It seems that linux hates me as much as I hate windows. Maybe Ill try macOS next. Who know maybe I can make it crash too.

Everything will crash if the computer's not up to it!!

If you're trying to run X and a 3D game on a 386 with 2 MB RAM for example, its bound to crash - even if it *is* running Linux. I use Mandrake 7.1 and I have had no problems with it at all - It has been up and running for 27 days, 4 hours and 54 minutes without crashing once, and I use that computer as a normal workstation, server for the network and it's only a P120 with 32 MB RAm and an 8.4 GB HDD.
    One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them.
    One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
    (The Lord Of The Rings)
    http://www.bytekill.net

Cool

Linux is definetly more stable than winblows, try using RedHat 6.2. It's my favorite

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Reasons for systems crashing is not entirely due to the OS (operating system). I have a Mac Clone (OS 9.1 -- present machine at time of writing), a RH 7.1 (sans gui since I will be doing entirely command line with it), Windows 98 machine, another mac and a Yellow Dog Linux (powerpc linux) with gui installed.

Everyone of these machines have crashed at one point or another. Sometimes it is the OS, sometimes its an ID-10-T Error (look at this for a second... you'll get it.. .. ), sometimes its a hidden hardware problem (e.g., overheating, dust, bad components claiming to be good components, etc.).

So unless you are 100% sure that its the OS never make the assumption. That said not all linux versions are good much like not all windows versions are good nor macintosh versions (although I can happily say I've had this machine up and running for two years without a crash -- I've had one reboot due to OS upgrade -- MsMittens knocks on wood). I throw caution about Red Hat 7.2 as a colleague of mine said that it was worse than Windows 95.

If you want to find some more linux versions to play with check out http://www.linux.org/dist/english.html for your selection of different versions. One for every palate.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

`uname -srm'
    FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE i686

`uptime'

8:15am up 236 days, 2:14, 1 user, load average: 0.03, 0.04, 0.01

hmmm... been a while since I rebooted this machine. Still going strong though.

`uname -srm'
    Linux 2.4.16-grsec-1.9 i686

`uptime'
    8:16am up 6 days, 7:34, 1 user, load average: 0.02, 0.01, 0.00

Okay not as long for this box, but it's very nice and crisp.

You know what I think audioluv, I think you should give Linux another try. A misconfigured system is going to be unstable on any hardware using any OS. Properly configured, there is nothing more stable than Unix based OS's.

Take a look at dmesg and see what it has to say. The kernel will tell you when it's in trouble. Look at syslog too. If you need help reading the logs or tracking down the problem just say so in this same thread. I think that you will not only find that Linux is far more stable if configured properly, but the users are knowledgeable and helpful.

Don't give up that easy.

Senior since the 3 dot era

Slow: sometimes ; stable: yes

8:15am up 236 days, 2:14, 1 user, load average: 0.03, 0.04, 0.01
    I'am impressed.

My Linux box never crashed (some prog's may have caused some trouble, but I never had to reboot the thing for it). I can _not_ present some stats cause I don't let the thing use power for nothing. I'am *green* you see. I switch it of from time to time. Don't shoot me for that.

I believe linux is stable (even on a slow box), at least more then Windowz.