Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Telnet help.

Telnet help.

Ok here is my situation. I recently signed up for a free shell account and when I attempt to log on to the account it lets me put my username in but it wont let me put my password in, I was using the Windows Telnet app. then I tried another one and I still had the same problem. I even tried to use the telnet in my linux and I still had the same problem. I continually get an incorrect login prompt. Am I doing something wrong or could it be the shell account itself? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanx.
    [shadow]Prepare ship for ludicrous speed![/shadow]

what do u mean by it doesnt let u put your password?

is it when u put your password and you dont see the cursor moving?

if thats the case then its normal.. some telnet works that way.. they dont show you that you typed the password but u actually did.. in gui.. u will see **** for passwords but in telnet.. u wont see a thing.. as if the thing is not working... but it does..

Hi mom!
    Furthermore, I noticed that using backspace in the username/password will not work either, in most cases (and oh yeah, it's case sensitive, but you knew that, right?) Did you check if there were some sort of activation period? Maybe your account just isn't active yet... Can't think of anything else, sorry....

the activation period is 15 minutes but I have tried days after the account has gone active. It says that my login is incorrect, I am aware that it is case sensitive. Is there some sort of text that is supposed to accompany my username for example "username@somethingsomething. Or is it just the username itself. Thanx.
    [shadow]Prepare ship for ludicrous speed![/shadow]

Hi mom!
    No, in most cases, it would be just your username, without additions. Maybe you should email root@yourhost or helpdesk@yourhost and ask for some help, they surely can check what went wrong. Oh, and by the way, if you're using an incorrect username, you'll get that same reply - could it be that you're using the right password, but the wrong username?

The windows telnet program is very slow and really terrible. I suggest you download another one or try using telnet on a linux box.

I agree with Focmaester. For windows, I'd recommend Netcat...
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

Lightbulb

I also recommend e-mailing the maintainer or administrators of the site from where you got the free shell account. Its most probably a case of wrong password....did you enter twice when you were being asked your password the first time while registration process? Are you sure you didn't type 1 letter incorrectly or so?
    Ah well...I\'m back on AntiOnline!

Thumbs up

eh linux guru running telnet from windows box : i'am personnaly using a very very very good Telnet Emulator, known as "PuTTY" (i'am running version 0.51), that support so much options, run also SSH and so on. I use it to control my linux boxes from windows station (I know it's a shame!) It supports very well colors and advanced ascii & ansi sequences, and also various terminal size, key configuration, num lock configuration ....

It's freeware, very stable and functionnal, so run and use it.

-hantiz.
    Linoux c\'est de la bombe bébé !

PHP/PostgreSQL guy

Post telnet stuff

1: Standard windows telnet sucks. It barely has enough emulations to work in most generic environments. Get something like CRT or Hyperterm or something like that.

2: Can't see passwords? In the windows telnet, if you turn on 'local echo', you'll see the password being typed out. This isn't a good idea, as people can see your plaintext password on the screen but will just prove that yes, telnet is working. Local echo is turned off upon password schemes, or it replaces characters with * in a gui interface (like Gnome/KDE login).

3: Backspace...ahhh yes, the almighty ^? or ^H error. Your keyboard binding generally assigns backspace as delete (^?) or standard backspace is sent (^H). If the backspace key doesn't work, try doing control-h. You should see your cursor backspace over the typed input. It may still show but yes, it is erasing it. Setting the right keyboard mapping is done in the init stage of a linux box booting up (KEYMAP variable in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit), however you're just better off hitting enter at a bad login/password as it asks you for your login again.

Hope this helps!
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.