Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bypassing On-board SoundCard

Lightbulb

From my personal experience I've been able to just install the alternate card and the BIOS will disable the onboard sound automatically.

However I have also encountered boards that require you to disable them in the BIOS , just like a few people have already mentioned.
    You dont have to do much in the operating system at all, just remove the drivers because the OS should remove the device, it will not load a device into the device manager if it is not present.
    A+ Cert. Computer Technician

Originally posted by j0bber

I'm a computer graphics major with a minor in art, so I usually don't have to worry about the "insides" of a computer, just the programs I use.</random facts>
    Matty_Cross mutters something about arts students... hehehe j/k
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.
    But when you\'re good and crazy, hehe, the skies the limit!!\"

Uh oh, struck a chord inside, huh? Have some deep-seeded issues regarding art students?

We aren't all bad, but it only takes a few to ruin it for the rest of us. That's kind of like the whole "bad guy" syndrome.

When girls go through a bad experience with some jerk, they tend to over-generalize and spout off on how "all guys are jerks!" Not all art students are <insert explative here>.

And yes, I did see the "j/k" and the smiley, so I know it's all in fun. Just wanted to put that, because I have seen where things have been taken too seriously and before you know it, a post will have gotten 45 "Oh yeah, well F*** you too!" replies.
    Interesting, huh?
    ...the scent of your hair as you twirl in your fingers, and the time on the clock, when we realized that it\'s so late, and this walk that we shared....together!

Pnp settings

A minor point about Pnp. Making a lot of assumtions here, but if you run a version of Windows prior to XP, and you want the DOS compatability driver to work (sound blaster emulation), then you may need to fiddle with the IRQ settings in the BIOS. Typically this can be done by setting IRQ10 to 'reserved' in Award BIOS -don't know what the equivalent is for Pheonix BIOS. Well it worked for me, anyway!
    All completely irrelevant unless you play games that require DOS support, like for example most of the emulators out there.

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    Oh yeah, one thing I just remembered from darkes' post. If sound blaster emulation is on and something important like your network card steals the IRQ, you won't get too far into your windows startup as it'll freeze entirely. Solution: go into safe mode, get into device manager (right-click on My Computer -> Properties -> Device Manager tab), find the soundblaster emulation, and disable that device). This is recourse for that IF you're freezing up or you just don't want DOS emulation (chances are, you don't need it, it's there for legacy support).
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

Senior since the 3 dot era

Re: Hmmm...

Originally posted by Ouroboros
    I could be wrong here, but I think that disabling the device in the BIOS renders the drivers for that device useless, thus, I'd try BIOS first, then remove the drivers after you boot up.

Correct me if I'm wrong, as I don't know how the PnP(Plug 'n Play) feature in Windows works, exactly.

Ouroboros
    I you make device drivers useless by disabling them in the Bios, Windowz (earlier then XP) isn't smart enough to get that so you could end up with a frozen system.

To prove: if you have some ISA or PCI soundblaster in your pc remove it without first disabling the drivers. Your system will behave strange, I bet on it.
    The same goes for network devices.

Sometimes probs occur with NIC and sound cards: cause lot of soundcards try to get IRQ 5 or 10 and many NIC's also do that so you have to change the NIC settings or the soundcard. (I changed the soundcard IRQ to 7 on an old box I have here, and everything works fine. This sure differs from box to box)

Common keys to get in the BIOS is pushing Del, F2, Ctrl-Esc, F10 or F1 for some IBM and compaq boxes during POST (Power On Self Test).
    If you don't know the key: search on the net for your manufacturer or use a trick: shutdown pc, disconnect keyboard, startup, your pc makes a beep and says "no keyboard present press [the key to use BIOS] or resume". shutdown put the keyboard back in, you can now alter the bios by pressing the key that the system showed you.

(this works only if "halt on all errors is on", if not the pc won't stop and go on without keyboard. I have tried it only on DIN and PS2 keyboards so I don't know for USB)

If your new card is PCI: no prob change your Bios IRQ config settings like earlier said this will free some IRQ for it.

If your conflicting card is ISA PnP you have to disable drivers shutdown take the card out, restart, shutdown, put the card in, restart, now the PnP settings are reset and you see the install driver screen from windows again. It worked several times for me. For the onboard sound: remove the driver in Windows like you would remove any other device. then restart with your new soundcard in your pc it should be recognized by Windowz.

Lightbulb Two cards

I have a mo-bo with a rubish card and an only slightly less rubish PCI card. In my experience both co-existed happily and in Windows you can use the multimedia setting (in control panel) to set which device is used. It should be possible to have one deal with WAV and one with MIDI. I think the same is true for linux (but I've disbled the onboard sound now), you should be able to compile both modules and insert the one you need by editing /etc/modules.conf (I think).
    -=Plague of The IV=-

Two great things came from UC Berkely; LSD and BSD.
    :-)

Thumbs up Info

Great info, VictorKaum, thanks!
    "entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

"entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity."

-Occam's Razor

larryjs
    You have to be careful about removing drivers if its a "yamaha" onboard sound card. Some of those put an entry in "add remove programs" If you strip the drivers out of device manager without using that option you could be in for a format/reinstall(this happens at Dell all the time). crystal on board drivers can usally be taken right out of device manager.

Senior since the 3 dot era
    larryjs is right about this (caution !) :

You have to be careful about removing drivers if its a "yamaha" onboard
    Indeed this **** happens with DELL. I forgot about it, I had the same going on with a DELL pc. So Ouroburos if you use a DELL and did something what screwed it up, I'am sorry for it.

thnx for the thnx