Thread: Hackers, programmers "improve" Xbox

Post Hackers "improve" Xbox

There was another thread on this topic some where else in the forms but I didn't feel like searching for it. This article caught my attention. X box may be able to be used for a "hacking tool" Original article is from:
    http://investor.cnet.com/investor/ne...0.html?tag=ats

From its cutting-edge graphics processor to the video game industry's first built-in hard drive, Microsoft's Xbox has been praised as one of the most technologically sophisticated game devices ever. But that's just not good enough for hardware and software experimenters who have been tinkering with the Xbox since the day it went on sale.
    From the relatively benign efforts of software coders looking to capitalize on the Xbox's latent online capacity to hardware geeks willing to risk warranties and good sense in pursuit of better performance, the PC-derived design of the Xbox has encouraged an unprecedented level of tinkering for a game machine in the few weeks it has been on the market.

"It's a very powerful piece of hardware--that's what motivates us," said Dan Johnson, a high school senior from Sugarland, Texas, and creator of XboxHacker, a Web site dedicated to disseminating the latest information on Xbox tweaks. "It has the potential to do so much else. We can write lots of programs eventually to really exploit this thing."

Please read the full story and tell me your opinion of this article on the x-box...

Could the same exploit/hack be re-written for PS2 or the Game Cube?

Remote_Access_

Re: Hackers "improve" Xbox

Originally posted by Remote_Access_
    There was another thread on this topic some where else in the forms but I didn't feel like searching for it. This article caught my attention. X box may be able to be used for a "hacking tool" Original article is from:
    http://investor.cnet.com/investor/ne...0.html?tag=ats
    <snip>
    "It's a very powerful piece of hardware--that's what motivates us," said Dan Johnson, a high school senior from Sugarland, Texas, and creator of XboxHacker, a Web site dedicated to disseminating the latest information on Xbox tweaks. "It has the potential to do so much else. We can write lots of programs eventually to really exploit this thing."

Please read the full story and tell me your opinion of x-box. Do you think that a successful exploit can/will be written?
    Can the same exploit be re-written for PS2 or the Game Cube?
    I think you entirely misunderstood the intent of the article (no offense). It's not going to be 'exploited' in the sense of security vulnerabilities, but rather in the sense of making it into a cheap, usable PC.

If you end up able to run linux on it it becomes a very nice, very cheap network-enabled computer, possibly a webserver. At $300 a pop, these things are cheap enough to make it worthwhile for even large hosting companies to cluster them.

By hacking it, they mean to figure out how to turn it into something else, how to access the hard drive, overclock it, etc., etc..
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?