Thread: Gateways, repeaters ?

Question Gateways, repeaters ?

Hey folks i need some information abt. Gateways, repeaters and routers and routing tables and algo.

I want websites address as well as ur views or rather i would say general information abt. these things.

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    Are you looking for general information on how they work or something like a particular setup or what?

If you're looking for an internal network or something, here's what I can offer:

1: get a Linksys 4 port or DLink DI-704 DSL/Cable router/gateway. They're defaulted to a 192.168.1.1 address and come preset as a gateway. This will help you get your internal network going. Also, they have an uplink port to allow daisy-chaining of hubs/etc.

2: hook your broadband into the WAN slot of your cable/dsl router. Then hook your other machines into the four ports (I have 3, one free). Using a browser, you can connect to the 192.168.1.1 site and enter the user/pass depending on the type you got (comes with it). Then set up your internal network.

Both of these serve as hardware firewalls and support a wide range of utilities, from DMZ setting to restricted access to port/logged monitoring. Add in the fact that both can do DHCP for your internal network and can support up to 253 users, it's a very good purchase.

Go here for the DLink 704p page

Go here for the Linksys 4-port DSL/Cable Router

Very good products! I'd recommend them to anyone. If you get one, make sure you get the latest firmware for them as they've updated for IPSec and other things...
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

Senior since the 3 dot era

Gateway

Vorlin is right: specify your question so whe can help you out.

Gateway: you can use some hardware gateway like Vorlin mentioned above or you can use some software gateway to give your LAN access to a WAN -> let's say internet.

hardware gateways: see Vorlin's post

software gateways:
    software gateways could be installed on rather small machines (P100, 48 MB ram, little HDD,) depending on OS and amount of traffic / users.
    there is some prog for Linux boxes that is not larger than 1 floppy to make the box a gateway connecting to DSL modem by PPPoE. (I forgot the name of it)

If you are a newbie to this issue, I explain some basic things now, else you can pass the following:

Gateway pc: has usually 2 or more NIC's in it. 1 to communicate with the internet (connected to a router or a modem) and a second to communicate with the LAN.
    You have to assign IP adressess to the NIC's. The IP on the internet side is the insecure IP, the IP on the LAN side is the secure IP. So you have to set rules in your firewall application or hardware (you have to run something as firewall) that makes your LAN secure against intrusion.Install a gateway/proxy prog.
    The gateway prog does a NAT like a hardware gateway/router does. This means: from the net you can only see the IP and MAC of the gateway (if properly configured) and not that of the other machines on your LAN.

Now you have a working gateway you can add a proxy, DMZ,... etc.

I hope this is usefull nfo?

Re: Gateways, repeaters ?

Originally posted by KaKoKoOl
    Hey folks i need some information abt. Gateways, repeaters and routers and routing tables and algo.

I want websites address as well as ur views or rather i would say general information abt. these things.
    just a tip... if ur thinking of buyin' a router then remember to close all the backdoors in it when u get it... especially CISCO loves making stupid backdoors (at least the old routers have 'em)...
    Backdoors = (in this case) often special usernames that allow some sort of upload access.
    zion1459
    Visit: http://www.cpc-net.org
    \"Software is like sex: it\'s better when it\'s free.\" -Linus Torvalds

Re: Re: Gateways, repeaters ?

I need to know what are gateways and other things which i've written .How they work?
    and for routers i need to know routing table and algos.

Senior since the 3 dot era

Gateways

Again: if you are a newbie read, else pass this post

(most of the) gateways use NAT: Network adress translation to give computers on a LAN access to the internet all with the same IP.

for instance: you have a LAN with a couple of boxes using TCP/IP to communicate with each other. You have assigned the kind of IP's to it not used on the net (by convention) like 192.168.xxx.xxx or 10.10.x.x with submask 255.255.255.0

these adresses couldn't be used on the net, so you need a box (the gateway) to make them go on the net. The gateway does a NAT to a true internet adress like 207.125.15.2
    The box route the traffic to the other boxes on your LAN

-----> all this to simple? searching for the math behind it?

Cool

ermm have u ever tried www.google.com?

Cool

oh and http://blacksun.box.sk has a HUGGGEE book section about networking.. u might find what u need there