Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Abolish the antipoint system

actually, i dont have a clue on 'antipoints' i think there is no logic behind this...
    \"The more you ignore me... the closer i get!\"

Hey ! Antipoints is the thing i'm living for ! I mean, i'm posting only for antipoint, hopping that "one day" someone will be so estonished by my answer, that he will gently give 1 positive points

Just kidding, but personnaly i like this antipoints system, when senior member answer your and he comes with big home made logo, big post number (>300) and green pixels.... you're saying "ouch... the big security/system/network guru is answering me, take care of what he is saying !

Negative antipoints are more useless, because you can give it for whatever reason.

Please do not remove antipoints !

A+ hantiz.
    Linoux c\'est de la bombe bébé !

antipoints.

first of all, we agree that this isn't working. so here is my solution for it.

instead of one person being able to give out + or - points, it would go to a poll. what i mean is that one person can't hand out antipoints. it would work something like this.

it would take 3 people to give someone a good antipoint, and it would take 4 people to give someone a bad antipoint.

-Havanger
    Do it now and ask for forgiveness later

Senior since the 3 dot era
    Well basicly the Apoints system is good, it are the users who are bad.

And in reply on some questions I do think there's some logic behind the points. The points from people with many points count more than other.

If I could change the AP system I would make it more transparent (no anonymous points for example), and make the rules more transparant (when do your point counts...?)
    Or give the senior members with lots of posts like Ennis, Negative,... more credit or an other status (ultra senior or elite or something) but again there are some users that make many posts with no meaning but flaming (S*******12) I think (my opinion) they don't deserve some extra credits. (Don't shoot me for this)

I recieve Apoints from time to time which do not increase or decrease my total amount of points so there is some logic behind the thing. I'am sure Ennis can explain this more / better than I'am doing now.

I just wanted to be sure that everyone involved in this thread as read the explanation about antipoints :

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=118645

Sorry if you did. Do it if did not.

A+ hantiz./
    Linoux c\'est de la bombe bébé !

My intention is not to disrespect JP, but I have noticed that many of the things promised by use of the antipoint system have never been given. For example:

In the future, you will be able to "spend" your AntiPoints on additional site features and gear.
    I have yet to see this, however since I have few antipoints, I ask the members with a high number of points to respond and tell me the additional site features that are available.

If you are caught attempting to abuse the AntiPoints System, your account will be removed. Period!
    There are currently many users out there abusing the system, and with apparently no reaction from JP. I am not against this originally good idea, but I feel that it is an abused and useless system. I have recieved more than my fair share of negative antipoints for asking questions in relation to security, networking, programming, and more. Most of the time the responses are limited to "**** You", or "You are a faggot and you post too much". The thing is that I know these are coming from senior members, by the number of points I lose each time. I don't know if I am an equal contributer here on antionline, but many people have sent me private messages saying that I am. If JP ever goes through and reads this, I hope that he makes a change, since recieving negative antipoints is so intimidating that I have seen many members here on antionline feel like they shouldnt come back. Ive seen many people who come here just to flame and get showered with praise while I almost never make posts flaming another user, ask security questions and lose more antipoints daily. Why do I still come here if this bothers me so much? I have the hope that the positive members will rub their influence off on others, and this will become the ideal internet security related site that it was supposed to be. Abolish the antipoint system, and free us from our enemies.
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19

right well i think there needs to be more explaining on why people will give out negative antipoints. here are what some of my negative antipoints say:
    "shoot first and ask quesitons later"
    "Terribly wrong idea about Windows and Linux, Im not gonna reply Ill let yoy figure it out yourself."

-havanger
    Do it now and ask for forgiveness later

I really like the 'User's Antipoint Stats' idea, Vorlin. Just show what % of their total-given-to-assign antipoints they use per month on positive or negative comments.

The second thing is... PUT THEM IN THE PROFILE. That way you aren't judged every time someone reads your post, you have to 'go one click further' in order to see someone's AP level.

I think JP put too much work into it to want to abolish it, and it can be useful sometimes... Maybe if we could just de-emphasize it, making it more of a statistical fact about a user, rather than a bit thing in other people's eyes.

Things already discussed many times:
    1) Removing it
    2) Always showing the name
    3) Always needing comments
    4) Point variation due to if comments exist

I think we can safely say that the last two would just make people add in 'aaaaa' or something for a comment. The first one is probably not gonna happen soon, and the second one will just exacerbate flame wars.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

I bet that the AP system was made with good intentions but its becoming more a nuisance now that people are abusing it. I'm not gonna name any names. There is almost no purpose to the system anyways because points shouldnt be based if you agree with a statement or not. People are allowed to have different opinions and they should not be criticized by other people. Even though the points system might have been started to allow users to compliment the author in making a statement that was well thought out, most people just use the system for either vendetta or just to flame. I think that AO would do just fine without the AP system.
    Life is just a series of decisions, each one can alter your future and you can possibly end your life at any moment. Do you really want to be under the care of the Microsoft Support Center?!?!

Banned
    Greetings:

We will always be improving the AntiPoints system, but it's not going anywhere. Thanks for the suggestion though.