Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Someone explain something to me...

PHP/PostgreSQL guy

Angry Someone explain something to me...

Ok, I've been on this board for a little under three weeks and I've noticed something. There seems to be a lot of jabs, underhanded attacks, open flaming, and whatnot being spewed forth onto the message boards. Message boards that I come to every day (I work the 7 to 4 shift at work) to try to help people out with anything I can, ask questions, be around peers, and generally have a good time. For the most part, I've had that but after reading a LOT of flaming posts of outright attacks from one poster to another, I'm seriously wondering why this has to happen. You want real problems? Get laid off like I did on Oct 4 and try to find a job as a unix admin in this economy. That's something to worry about, not some useless drivel that someone might call an insult. Others I worked with got let go the same day and they've got families, bills, etc... I feel for them as I'm working now while some are still looking. You want real problems? Look at the victims of everything current from 6 months ago onward. That's real problems. Look at those who have family serving in the military overseas during *CHRISTMAS* in a war-torn environment. And some of you have grudges? **** that noise, get over it...if we can't all work together on making AO a great place to interact with peers, then I guess I should pack up and leave because God alone knows I'm not going to stick around and listen to this high-school bullshit that some people flaunt. Have you (any of the flagrant flaming posters) ever considered what a know-nothing newbie might think because if I (and I consider myself more than a little knowledgeable when dealing with computers) get irritated after reading so many of these every day, how do you think they'd feel after reading *1*? Gah,
    I'm not very happy now so I'm gonna go delete someone's user directory or something...

Let the madness stop!
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

Banned
    In other words!

End this damn Flaming!

My sentiments exactly. . . You hit the nail on the head. ; )
    "Never give in-never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in to convictions of honor and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy!" - Winston Churchill

Ennis, I believe I see a pattern forming here, you are a man on a mission!

Banned
    I am on a mission, hopefully it will work and Antionline will return to it's former self!

I really hope ur right Ennis. . . I really hope ur right. Get things back to normal.
    "Never give in-never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in to convictions of honor and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy!" - Winston Churchill

Whilst i may be in no postion to comment with my earlier diatribe, (in my defence i don't flame needlessly all the time) but i'd have to say i'm almost as sick of the whining as i am of the flaming - its a public forum, post what you like and if you don't like what somebody said, post a reply or say nothing - all this "i'm sorry to say i'll be leaving AO" (not directed at anyone in particular) is pointless, it makes you sound like a rejected lover. Flaming is a necessary part of any fora, its been this way for a long time, and i can't see it changing anytime soon - not that i'd want it too, its hard to beat a good flame.
    Before anyone tells me, i realise the hypocrisy in me whining about other people whining - i just don't care.

Ennis - i like you, you're a friendly, smart young fella - that sig sucks tho.

Talking i'm with you

i'm joining you Ennis. time to stop the flaming, go somewhere else to ridicule people!

Banned
    Originally posted by petemcevoy
    Whilst i may be in no postion to comment with my earlier diatribe, (in my defence i don't flame needlessly all the time) but i'd have to say i'm almost as sick of the whining as i am of the flaming - its a public forum, post what you like and if you don't like what somebody said, post a reply or say nothing - all this "i'm sorry to say i'll be leaving AO" (not directed at anyone in particular) is pointless, it makes you sound like a rejected lover. Flaming is a necessary part of any fora, its been this way for a long time, and i can't see it changing anytime soon - not that i'd want it too, its hard to beat a good flame.
    Before anyone tells me, i realise the hypocrisy in me whining about other people whining - i just don't care.

Ennis - i like you, you're a friendly, smart young fella - that sig sucks tho.
    Ok, pete Its more than obvious the post is directed at me, no need to say otherwise.
    Maybe my sig sucks, maybe my new hippie like attitude is not really me but Im trying to contribute in two ways these days

1) Keep the tutorials and help coming which I will

2) Trying to end this pointless flaming and bitchin by being light hearted about it, taking a new approach. Im getting good support here on the anti-flaming issue which is pretty good considering the last few weeks.

Anyway I hardly expect the infamous flame to stop [ Ive still to see more of Negative classic flames] but I want the pointless bandwagon flaming to stop. By all means flame where it is neccessary but please look at some of the threads, undercutting humourless jabs at people for no apparent reason.

Yeah I said Id leave and I didnt, I look on it as a good thing.

If you want me to change the sig it goes, thats my attitude these days, its kinda a joke, lets stop taking things so serious and through it make AO a community not a haven for abuse.

*sorry for the speech got carried away*

Originally posted by Ennis
    Antionline will return to it's former self!
    Click here to go back in time! Hope you want to keep the new design, though
    ---
    proactive