Thread: Open/Listening Ports

Exclamation Open/Listening Ports

By default, Windows has numerous ports open/listening when it is not necessary for them to be so. I'm looking for a way to have all ports I specify that are open/listening by default CLOSED when the O/S boots, without having to track down each service that is responsible. There are programs that can kill ports at the push of a button, and there should be programs that can run at startup that will kill the ports I've chosen automatically, effectively closing them until the next reboot (considering the service is not in use). A permanent solution would be fine as well, if it remained even after a reboot, and as long as I could reopen the ports manually at a later date.

Appreciated.

P.S. Anyone know if Tiny has a "phone home" aspect, just as Zone Alarm's TrueVector is rumored to have?

You'd have to tell what version of windows you're talking about, and what ports are open.. I work with win98 all the time because it's on my parents computer and the only port I know of that's open without any other reason is the 139 one, and you can turn that off in the network settings I think.

Windows 2000 Professional

Cool

hmm.. why not try a firewall?
    the firewall would block unused ports so intruders wont manage to connect to them.. and to test how good ur firewall is.. ask someone who runs a linux box to do a portscan on ur box.. coz linux has the most reliable port scanners.

Consider my request a precaution in cause a firewall were to fail.

Post Re: open/listening ports

By default, Windows has numerous ports
    - and it also comes with default shares. netBIOS

open/listening when it is not necessary for them to be so.
    Listening on a port and haveing a port open are two seperate things.

I'm looking for a way to have all ports I specify that are open/listening by default CLOSED when the O/S boots,
    I thought that all ports closed when you loged off the internet...except for hardware ports. Have you tried Tiny or Zone alarm?

without having to track down each service that is responsible.
    Do you know how to use the netstat command? It's a very useful tool for displaying what ports and services are open.

There are programs that can kill ports at the push of a button, and there should be programs that can run at startup that will kill the ports I've chosen automatically, effectively closing them until the next reboot (considering the service is not in use).
    - I think thats called a firewall (software)

A permanent solution would be fine as well, if it remained even after a reboot, and as long as I could reopen the ports manually at a later date.
    - I think thats another type of firewall (hardware)

Remote_Access_

Cool

want to make your computer really secure??

buy an old computer, but not too damn old.. roughly second hand and has been used for 2 yrs..

and use it as your proxy/internet server and install a firewall in it.. that way, your box is more secure coz there is no DIRECT connection between your box and the net..

helps a lot... and u can install another firewall on your box (preferably a different kind compared to the one you have on your proxy/internet server) as your secondary line of defence.. and the only ports you have to worry are the ports in that old computer. u can also set up a sniffer on that old computer (the software sniffer not the peripheral) and there's a nice proggy that i got on www.firewall.cx called IP tools.. that would also be a good tool for you coz you can do port scanns and more on your boxes.

And oh.. if ur gonna actually do it.. try learning SNMP too.. its a very useful protocol.. and easy to use.. helps u monitor your little network..

as for me.. im using an old laptop for my firewall and other security purposes.. its really mad.. im here sittin in my box and just beside it is a laptop wid mad graphics and i can actually see whats goin through my network..

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    <LAME HUMOR>
    How to secure your PC from the internet in 4 easy steps...

1: uninstall your network card
    2: remove network card
    3: unplug computer from phoneline/network
    4: install peer-to-peer "networking" by running tin-cans-with-a-string*

* - your download/upload speed will be drastically slower
    </LAME HUMOR>

Had to put a laugh somewhere...crummy day for me so far
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

sorry to hear that it's been a crumby day for you Vorlin. I knoe it was intended as a joke but that is the only real way to have a secure computer.

Remote_Access_