Thread: Blocked Sites

Antionline Herpetologist

Blocked Sites

How exactly do ISP's block sites? This may sound stupid but do they just type an invalid ip address in the hosts file or something or is it a bit more invloved than that? And what can be done to bypass that protection? This may be a stupid question, but I really need an answer because my ISP is threatening to block security related sites like AO and HackingTruths.
    Thanx,
    cgk

easy peasy lemon squeezy...
    first: record the IP addresses of the security sites.
    second: translate them into their dword value
    third: access the sites.
    fourth: when it turns out that you can't use them (still), switch ISPs.

they can use content filters where incoming pages containing key words are blocked, they can block sites by name or ip address. Its done with software much more involved than hosts. you'll notice you get a page like "this site is forbidden" where youd get a 404 page not found if the ip was invalid
    but no problem, all you need to do is find a public proxy, and enter you http requests there. all incoming pages show as coming from the proxy's ip, content filtering can slow down web browsing and they probobly wont use it, unless its a school, religious group, or your parents who dont care how slow it is as long as they consider it safe for family viewing. If they block sites by url you could use ip addresses. start collecting them now because you cant even ping for them once their blocked.
    If none of this works, cough up the 10 bucks a month and get your own account.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

They usually buy a peice of hardware that has a company maintain a list of sites, such as X-stop.
    If whatever they use dosen't actually break open the packet and look at it, you can just use a proxy to get by that.

Antionline Herpetologist
    I don't get a 404 page or a "site is blocked" page. When I try to access a blocked site, I just get the standard IE "The page cannot be displayed" message. When I tried the same page from a friend's account(different ISP same PC) the site is accessible. I have the IP but even that doesn't work. Will try the public proxy thing though.
    Thanx,
    cgk

heh..

We're probably looking @ a determined ISP here. The site's ip is probably restricted via ACL's in switches or routers somewhere between you and the site's host. Remember, however, that it IS POSSIBLE that the SITE you are trying to access has actually blocked your isp @ their LAN border, (it's been done to AOL before .

new ip or get a shell somewhere outside your network's lan.

OverandOut.
    comJo