Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need some help please!

Need some help please!

OK recently I lost all of the partitions and files on my hard drive. It was a 30 gig and had three NTFS partitions. My question is does anyone know of any good software that can recover all of the files or partitions? I was wondering if there are any free or cheap tools that i could find on the internet for download or in local stores.
    BTW: I already tried Google and MSN and Yahoo to search for them.
    Thanx in advance.
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]

who knows?

Sorry, can't help you. I'll bet there are a few people here that can answer that, but they are too busy flaming each other and crawling up ea other's asses to write something useful. Try Ennis, he's a "recovered" *******. He's really nice now. Luv ya Ennie!!
    </peace/out/bin/smokin/toomuch>>
    Half the world is composed of people who have something to say and can\'t, and the other half who have nothing to say and keep on saying it.

Banned

Re: who knows?

Originally posted by Whit3Speic
    Try Ennis, he's a "recovered" *******.
    Hehe!

I'm almost certain there are recovery tools out there somwhere, your best bet will be to put the hard disk into another computer so that its not being booted from (and so that the recovery program is not installed to that disk, overwriting some of your data). However, if the file allocation tables (or NTFS equivalent) are gone you might have a hard time trying to get data back. I guess the guaranteed way of doing it would be to download a Hex Editor or Disk Editor (Hex Workshop does this) and open the disk itself, recovering the data manually... but that'd take foreve and a day on a 30 GB drive.

In answer to your question, then, although I have come across recovery tools before, they usually work on individuial files (like Norton Undelete) and I doubt you'll get much useful info back after losing the partition tables, so your best bet would be to give up and start over...
    One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them.
    One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
    (The Lord Of The Rings)
    http://www.bytekill.net

larryjs
    Even norton's disk edit can't help you now

Hi Casper,
    Could you elaborate on how you lost your partitions? Have you tried booting with the windows 2000 cd (assuming it is w2k) Or setting the disk as a slave in another w2k machine?
    There is a utility called NTRecover which will allow you to access damaged ntfs partitions over a serial connection to another machine - i believe they do a trial version that will give you read only access - should be enough to copy the data over to another pc, provided you've got the patience to wait for 30 odd gig to travel over a serial cable!

larryjs
    Even norton's disk edit can't help you now

Originally posted by Rewandythal
    I'm almost certain there are recovery tools out there somwhere, your best bet will be to put the hard disk into another computer so that its not being booted from (and so that the recovery program is not installed to that disk, overwriting some of your data). However, if the file allocation tables (or NTFS equivalent) are gone you might have a hard time trying to get data back.
    I have it setup as a primary slave. I have tried it with 2000 Prof and 98 also as the boot drive. The software i have tried is R-Tools it saw all my files and partitions but wouldn't let me recover anything over 64k in size, unless i pay 50 bucks and buy the full version.

Originally posted by petemcevoy
    Hi Casper,
    Could you elaborate on how you lost your partitions? Have you tried booting with the windows 2000 cd (assuming it is w2k) Or setting the disk as a slave in another w2k machine?
    There is a utility called NTRecover which will allow you to access damaged ntfs partitions over a serial connection to another machine - i believe they do a trial version that will give you read only access - should be enough to copy the data over to another pc, provided you've got the patience to wait for 30 odd gig to travel over a serial cable!
    I had it partitioned into 3 partitions, NT4, 2000 Prof, and files. Nt4 was 4.5Gig, 2000 Prof was 4.5gig and files were 19gig partitions. I had around 6-10 total gigs used up all together. I wanted to repartition it so i had 3, 5 gig partitions and a 15 gig partition.
    First thing i did was ghost the harddrive to a spare 30Gig drive i had. I know that it copied all of my files because i watched it copy around 7 gigs of files. Then i disconnected it and set it to the side. I partitioned the original and went to copy from one drive to another. When i went to the backup drive there were no partitions or files. It showed it as one unknown partition. I ran the rtools recoverery and i could see my partitions and files but it wouldn't let me recover anything over 64k. Unless i get the full 50-100 dollars version.
    Where can i find NTrecovery? Can i run it from a local hard disk with the 30 Gig setup up as the slave?

Thanx again for all of the help.
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]

NTRecover is available here - http://www.winternals.com/products/r.../ntrecover.asp
    Having just looked at the site i see they have a remote recover tool for doing this sort of thing over a network (and no, i don't think you can do it over an ide chanel, it uses a nul modem cable or ethernet)
    Before you do that though - have a look at this -
    http://service2.symantec.com/SUPPORT...00103108553025

Originally posted by petemcevoy
    NTRecover is available here - http://www.winternals.com/products/r.../ntrecover.asp
    Having just looked at the site i see they have a remote recover tool for doing this sort of thing over a network (and no, i don't think you can do it over an ide chanel, it uses a nul modem cable or ethernet)
    Before you do that though - have a look at this -
    http://service2.symantec.com/SUPPORT...00103108553025
    What is a null-modem cable? Is it just a serial cable?
    On Ghost I have ghost 2001. It worked every other time i have used it just not on this occasion.