Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ABM treaty

Thumbs down ABM treaty

This may be old news, but seeing as I just spent the last 24 hours in a drunken haze it's just been bought to my attention.

It appears that President Bush has decided to pull out of the Anti Ballistic Missile Treaty signed in '72.

Oh well, looks like another arms race...

You can find the story here if anyones interested.

Post ABM

That treaty was signed in a different time, with a different "enemy" in mind (One that doesn't even exist anymore - the USSR). Times and political relationships have changed much, and although I do think that there is still some distrust and unease present in these relationships, that particluar treaty is outmoded and outdated. I would like to think, and I hope that the world's superpowers are a bit more relaxed about things now. I agree that some kind of 'treaty' is needed to reinforce the ideas of disarmament, but they will only exist on paper, just as the original ABM did. Does anyone really think that the nuclear capabilities of the countries involved really changed after 1972? I seriously doubt it, no matter what anyone says, especially the governments involved.
    I think that this particular 'arms race' should revolve around keeping thouroughly crazy tyrants like Saddam Hussein, for example, from ever achieving nuclear capabilities (if he hasn't already), and reserve the rights of that particluar form of DEFENSE to those would would not be so quick to abuse it for the purpose of OFFENSE.
    The ABM treaty should be discarded in favor of something more updated, as it serves only as a reminder, and an insult, to the nations that are obviously more peaceful and thoughful about the situation, and are more interested in maintaining peace than fearing war.

Ouroboros
    "entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

"entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity."

-Occam's Razor

Read the treaty it's really out dated, it was based on MAD you could only protect two sites that to be 1800 miles apart or something like that and only protect them 200 ABM's read the thing(ABM Treaty)it's out-dated. that's just my opinion.

http://www.state.gov/www/global/arms.../abm/abm2.html
    \"SI JE PUIS\"

It's ironic really, when Bush talks about rockets being fired from terrorist-states, and then the bastards hijack Amercian planes instead.

My opinion is that there is need for a change of focus, money should be spent on the root of the problem (whatever that is), not to shield yoursef from the problems' effects.

I suppose when the rocket shield is finished you're still gonna have terrorist attacks, and they will be just as nasty.
    ---
    proactive

Angry

And (for the non-americans?) it´s kinda obvious that he´s gonna "improve" the economy by expanding the armed forces. An easy way to get re-elected.
    Dear Santa, I liked the mp3 player I got but next christmas I want a SA-7 surface to air missile

Lightbulb Re: ABM treaty

IMHO, i think that we need to get rid of the ABM treaty. Like the man said, "It's a relic of the cold war." and it's also out dated. How are we supposed to defent our country from terrorist and foreign countries when we don't have a decent line of defence. The President tried to make negotiations with that guy from Russia, but he wouldn't cooperate. No negotiations were made or weren't to Mr. Bush's approval. Again, thats just in my humble opinion.

Remote_Access_

Well what is to Mr "Big Wanker´s" approval? The Kyoto deal isn´t, ABM isn´t, the anti-terrorism act however is.. so what´s next?
    I don´t see him signing anything that has a negative impact on the arms industry. Or if he seriously intend to have something to replace it with, WHERE IS THE ALTERNATIVE? How hard can it be to have something drawn up before you throw another thing into /dev/null?
    Dear Santa, I liked the mp3 player I got but next christmas I want a SA-7 surface to air missile

Unhappy BUSH

I think George Bush is a bigger thread to the world than the Islam...

And I'm not even islamic..

George Bush is a right winged closed minded ass...

But that's just my opinion
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

Come on, how can you say Islam is a threat to the world? Hell, it's just another religion. Here in Norway most people are Christians, but God knows we got a lot of racists, rightists, fanatics and all kinds of crazy people. But if you ask them, they'll probably gonna tell you they're Christians as well.

By the way, I'm not religious. I believe only in technology
    ---
    proactive

The cold war with the USSR was about who was the stronger.

This **** today is about small punk nations causing all the distruction they can. ABM look fine in my book.

this will, no doubt, improve the economy.

What do you all know about the CARLYLE GROUP ?
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”