Thread: Why would bios change affect cd-rw

Why would bios change affect cd-rw

I just updated my bios to a windows xp compatible version. Everything went as expected until I tried to backup my hd before the os install. I use Roxio CD Creator 5 Platinum and it no longer recognizes my cd burner. This is BEFORE installing xp. I am curious why a bios update would affect this drive. I use a hp computer and this is an hp drive that has been disabled. The bios update came from the manufacture. Any advise on how to fix this would be helpful. In my computer the drives letter has also been changed to E from N. The original crappy software that came with the drive still works, but only at 2X.
    I long for the relieve that death will bring

Cool

well the answer lies on the person who sent u the update coz we really have no idea what's the function or the commands of the update..

go ask them again.. and tell them that they ****ed up your computer.

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    Hehe, this is why I don't advance any further from 98SE... I haven't heard many problems with hardware for XP but the ones I have, haven't been pretty. XP supposedly comes with its own version of cd-burning so that might have something to do with it (I do NOT put it past MS to make sure you use certain burners with XP because of agreements, etc).

Linux forever! Open source forever!
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

When reading PCworld magazine I saw an article on XP that says for upgrades what software wont work. One of the ones I noticed was Roxio. XP has problems with CD burners.

Go here for the list of problems

Go here for the full article.

As for the BIOS it might have changed a setting. Go into your BIOS and look around and see if anything has changed.
    Hope this helps.
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]

My problem started BEFORE upgrading the os. The only upgrade I installed was the bios upgrade that was xp compatible. After the os install I am having the same problem, but it was caused by the bios upgrade, NOT the os. Being new to XP, I have no idea what to do to remedy the problem.

Goto the link that i gave you for info on xp problems and how to fix them.
    Also try microsoft. There are some required updates and downloads that you will need for xp after install.
    Did you check your BIOS to make sure that all your settings are correct?
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]

Senior since the 3 dot era
    A good advice:

*before* installing an OS or an important update like a Bios update (Bios works at a real low level, it is easy to srew up your computer) take a look at hardware and software compatibility lists.
    The easiest way to keep you out of trouble like you stated is check things before you make changes to the system.

I know I'am not giving very usefull info this time, sorry

Thanx for all your help. After installing the upgrades for Roxio the burner started working again. The bios update must have caused compatibility problems with my ME os. I still don't understand why the drive letter changed but it doesn't seem to effect anything now. P.S. usually I would preform a back-up before upgrading, but all I have heard about is how flawless the xp upgrade has been. Suprisingly(?) this is the only problem I have had with the upgrade.

BIOS upgrade

Depends a bit on what type of BIOS you are using, but most (I thought it was all) vendors allow you to save a copy of your current BIOS before re-flashing. Then if things go pear shaped, you have the option to boot in DOS mode or whatever, and re-flash your BIOS back to what is was before (won't work if the new BIOS is completely screwed !) .
    Also, some vendors have started to provide two BIOS chips on their motherboards, so that if the worst happens, you have a hardware backup to restore from (you re-flash one with the new BIOS, but leave the other with the original BIOS).